Chapter 50 : The Party

This is a long chapter. There is bound to have grammatical errors and misspellings. (⁠˘⁠・⁠_⁠・⁠˘⁠)

____________________

The coldest of winter in Tethyria was finally coming to an end. The snow melted away, the days grew warmer and brighter, and with them came spring's renewal. Birds returned from their southern homes; squirrels made their nests in the trees around town and began building their new lives.

Although you still needed to wear a jacket or two, it was no longer quite as cold. The sun rose higher in the sky each day and set later. If you went out on a clear night, you could see the stars shining like jewels in the dark blue heavens.

At the beach, a few courageous people dare to take a swim. Winter was just ending yet they were excited for the upcoming Spring and Summer.

Sitting by the cold sand, Philipia's thoughts were unknown. She didn't speak, she didn't move, she just sat there staring into space... and so did her companion. They had been doing this for some time now.

"It's cold..." he spoke softly at last. Iceland looked at the youth beside him. “Let's go somewhere else, it's cold.”

Philipia pursed her lips but didn't say anything. She stared into the water, staring at a distant ship she couldn't see. The wind had died down and they were becalmed in the open for hours before Philipia finally said, "I'm not sure it's even possible."

"It is," Iceland said. "It is possible."

Philipia saw a crab that came out of the sand and walked sideways with its claws up. She watched it bump into her legs, confused as to why it can't go through.

A few days ago with Martial, she suddenly went unconscious. When she woke up, she was alone, laying on her sofa, wondering what happened and where Martial is. As she was about to get up and look for him, the front door violently opened with Martial walking inside, his shirt covered in blood with the strong smell of gunpowder.

Philipia shuddered at his appearance and thought of every possibility of what happened. Did he kill someone? Did he hurt someone? Did he... Touch South?

Just the thought of him touching South almost made her mad. Fortunately, she controlled herself and carefully inquired. “Brother... what happened?”

Martial ignored her presence, went straight to the kitchen, opened the fridge, and opened himself a can of beer from who knows where. She was sure she didn't buy any beer.

Instead of replying to Philipia like he always does, he instead said, “There's going to be a party hosted by Asean. I can't attend so you'll be attending in my stead. I suggest you go, this might just become your last party.”

Philipia's heart dropped to her stomach. She felt sick, nauseous in fact. Martial's mood had never been bad before; she'd always thought that was a good thing. But now it seemed to be the only way he could express his emotions and frustrations.

Her heart began to race so fast it was hard to even breathe properly. What happened after she went unconscious? Who made Martial so furious?

“Brother... I”

“Will you or will you not go? It's only two choices, choose one, Philipia.”

Philipia's lips trembled. She held her tears back as much as she could and nodded, acquiescing to his words.

Martial's bad mood lightened. He placed the can on the counter and kneeled at Philipia's height. “Don't be sad little sis, this was meant to happen sooner or later. You should be grateful, I didn't even stop you from betraying me and even siding with those bastards—cause I love you. You know that right? I love you so much,” he said, rubbing Philipia's lips with his thumb. His eyes couldn't help but deepen as he stared at those pair of lips. “I love you so much, sometimes it's sickening.”