Chapter 2

Shiloh skipped the lobby, taking the trip down with me to the garage so she could just stay on the same elevator. We bid our farewell, and I watched the doors close as she gave me a little wave goodbye. I had mixed emotions about the whole situation, since it looked like she really needed the job based on the tears that she was shedding, but I also didn't want Blake to hurt her. She was so young, and didn't deserve to work for an ass like that. I guess there really wasn't a good solution, though I hoped it worked out for her. I might have also wished I could have gotten her number, but I had to be professional for now.

               With a little shrug, I headed into the garage. Being the boss had its perks, and my black Jaguar F-Pace SUV was just a short walk away. I fired up the engine and then headed out the automatic gate and up onto the street. I was glad to be leaving early, as the Labor Day weekend was upon us, and I knew traffic was going to be brutal. I was already supposed to have a Friday night dinner with my parents at their house before I could go home, and this would make it much easier for me. Luckily, Blake had been staying at his place in the city for years, so I had my house to myself and wouldn't have to deal with him.

               My parents had a very nice house up in Westchester County, just north of New York and home to some very wealthy people who appreciated the short drive to the city and the views of either the Hudson River or Long Island Sound. My house was up there too, though a lot smaller than theirs. My father had given the house to me and Blake as a wedding gift, and I guess I'd have to sell that and split the proceeds with Blake, since I had no intention of staying in it any longer than I needed to. As much as I liked living up there, I was sick of living so close to my closed minded parents and their friends and would love something more unique. Maybe even near a beach!

               But not in Florida, those people are crazy.

               While I was driving, I had my phone hooked up to the car's Bluetooth, and had it dial Harper's number. For a change, I had a feeling she'd enjoy this call!

               "Kenley! Are you out of work already?" she answered. She didn't need a hello, she just got right into it.

               "Yeah, I'm on my way to my parents' house for dinner, then back to my place afterwards. But guess what?"

               "You're finally divorcing that pig of a husband?" she asked.

               "Wait, did you hear already? Did his lawyer already contact you?" I replied, but sure if she was guessing or things had already started.

               "Are you serious?" she screamed. Her voice echoed throughout the car, and I had to laugh.

               "Yes, he finally agreed that we were just wasting our time. I wish he'd agreed to get one years ago instead of being so damned stubborn. He's supposed to hire a lawyer, and to tell him to have them contact you."

               "Oh shit! Girl, we're going to celebrate tomorrow! This is the best news ever!" she cried. "I'll get Reid to watch the kids, and we're going to go find you a girl!"

               "Nope, I can't do that, and you know it. Even with everything heading towards a divorce, I still can't commit adultery, or I'll lose everything," I told her. "But we can get a few drinks and some dinner if you like."

               "Good point. We'll play it safe and just have a good time then!" she decided. "I'll be at your place around 6pm, so be ready!"

               "Okay, that sounds perfect. I'll see you then. Give Reid and the kids a hug for me!"