Chapter 20 - Search

Toni
I ran up to the front door and knocked rapidly. Not long after, the door opened. "Toni, what's going on?" LaToya answered and I walked in.

"Why didn't you tell she married him?"

"What?"

"Why didn't she or anyone tell me that they were married?" She made a face. "Janet and James. Why didn't I know?"

"Toni, I...."

"Don't feed me any bullshit. I want to know the truth and I want to know it now." She rubbed her forehead and walked away. I followed her.

"Toni, it's not my place. If Janet wanted you to know she would've told you." I stared at her.

"Are you fucking kidding me?! My wife, the mother of my children who is currently pregnant, is being held captive somewhere by a guy she used to be married to, yet failed to tell me and you can't tell me anything because it isn't your place!"

"Fine. Fine. Uhhh." She sat down at the island. "Listen, just promise to stay calm."

"Okay."

"Janet is married."

"I know. She's married to me."

"No, not just you. She's married to James."

"What?"

"When Janet was 18 she married James. She thought she was in love with him so they ran off and eloped. However, that was a mistake. Not even a whole six months later, they got the marriage annulled or so Janet thought. She had still been into music but was also going to college so she was very busy. The two of them had agreed to the annulment, so when Janet told him to take the paperwork to turn it in, she had no reason to not believe he did. He said he did and so she moved on. Not long ago, Janet received something in the mail that basically stated that they were still married. Apparently, James never filed the paperwork and therefore has been receiving money from all of her music royalties. Janet found that out and removed him from it. She also filed something with the court and they agreed to move forward with voiding the marriage." I stood in shock. "That's how she knew he was coming. That's why she had all of that planned." I took a few deep breaths.

"Why wouldn't she tell me?"

"Because it's too deep, Toni. There's so much to this that it's ridiculous."

"Okay, so how does JohVonnie tied into it?"

"JohVonnie?"

"Yeah. She came to the house yesterday talking about crazy ex boyfriends and I know they didn't mention that on the news. So that means she's involved with this somehow. How is she?"

"Toni, I didn't know that JohVonnie was involved with this."

"LaToya, I swear if you're lying..."

"I'm not. If we had known that JohVonnie was involved in this, we would've handled it differently. We wouldn't have just....oh my God. That means Jada probably in on this too because they're sisters or something. Oh my God."

"Did you know if Janet knew this?"

"She probably did. Ughhh."

"Why does she do this? This is my only complaint about her."

"Really?"

"Yes, everything about her is perfect but this...this tendency to not say anything. I just don't get it."

"It's a habit of hers. She's so used to it."

"But she's with me now. Why does she do it?"

"For five years. Not saying that you're not an important factor to her life but for almost thirty years she's been accustomed to figuring these things out and protecting herself. She more than likely reverted to her old habits." I sighed and sat down.