Chapter 30 - Marriage

Toni
"How much?!"

"2.5 million and that's just in actual cash." I stood up from the counter.

"Hold up." I shook my head. "You mean to tell me this dude just handed over two million dollars? I don't believe it."

"I do."

"Really?"

"Yes. I believe that he's changed." I got down to her eye level.

"Janet, be so foreal right now." She folded her arms.

"What?"

"Listen to yourself, you're believing this nigga."

"Yes."

"Oh my god." I stood back up and laid my hands on my head. "Am I the only one who remembers what he put you through?"

"No, but.."

"Then why are you allowing him to have peace after what he's done?"

"Because it's the right thing to do!"

"Fuck the right thing. That nigga don't deserve forgiveness."

"Oh, so I guess Jada doesn't deserve forgiveness, huh? Or your father? Or Kenny? James? The girl who hurt you in highschool? None of them deserve forgiveness?"

"Janet..."

"What about you?"

"Excuse me?"

"I forgave you, didn't I? You hurt me too."

"That's different."

"Oh really? You made a stupid bet to sleep with me because of a bad grade. Had an entire campus of students and teachers talking about me like a slut. You reduced me to sex. Don't think I never heard the things you said about me."

"But I was genuine in my apology."

"And I forgave you!" She looked at me. "Look at what we have now. We have true love, four beautiful children, a whole life filled with happiness and joy and love. All because I forgave you."

"Janet..."

"I looked past myself and you. I looked past everything and thought of something bigger than all of us. I also took into account the feelings in my heart, my soul. I knew you were sincere and I know that Kamaal is sincere. A piece of me still has love for him, platonic love but still."

"And that's enough for you?"

"Yes. Plus you don't know him like I do. He's never apologized in his life. He's never even mentioned any type of relationship or acknowledgment of God. My heart is telling me to forgive him. Which I already did years ago."

"You did?"

"Yes. How do you think I was able to trust you?" I unfolded my arms.

"What?"

"Do you think our relationship would've been so good if I had held onto that hate? There were many times when anxiety and panic could've taken over me. Many times I would've ran but I had to learn that not everyone's the same."

"Janet, I just don't know."

"Fine. I wasn't even going to touch the money except for emergencies but fuck it." She grabbed her purse and walked towards the garage. I followed behind her.

"Where the fuck you going?" She didn't answer. "Janet." She went to her truck and climbed into it. "Janet! You hear me!" I grabbed the car door right as she was about to close it. She stared at me.