Chapter 25 - Mothering

Toni
"I wanna dance with somebody.
I wanna feel the heat with somebody.
Yeah, I wanna dance with somebody
With somebody who loves me." I watched Janet as she sang her heart out in the passenger seat. She had just finished eating a burrito and chicken tenders. Now she had a Oreo blizzard and was bouncing around in her seat. I shook my head at her.

"You feeling good, baby?" She looked at me with the spoon in her mouth and nodded. "Boys, how y'all feeling?" I looked through the rear view mirror and saw them with ice cream all over their faces. They were also bouncing in their seats.

"We good, mama." They danced around while eating their ice cream. Josiah also had a small ice cream and Jordan had his in a baby friendly ice cream cone holder. They all were bouncing around and smiling. I looked between them and Janet. They all looked so cute. My babies and big baby.

I pulled into the doctor's office parking lot and turned the car off. "Okay guys, we're here."

"Mommy's doctor is here?" asked TJ.

"Yep. So we have to clean your faces." I grabbed some wipes. "Here, Janet."

"Huh?" She turned her head and I saw she now had ice cream on her face. I laughed and shook my head. Taking one of the wipes, I wiped her mouth. She laughed. "Thank you." I threw it in the small trash bag.

"You're welcome." She took another thing of napkins and got out. TJ and Tommy leaned forward so I could wipe their faces while Janet went into the back to wipe Jordan and Josiah's.

"All clean, my babies." She pinched their cheeks causing them to laugh. Going into the trunk, she got the stroller out and placed them into it. I got TJ and Tommy by their hands as we walked into the building. Janet went to the front desk. "Hi, Janet Jackson-Braxton for Dr. Elliot." The lady typed.

"You're right on time, we'll take you back in a second."

"Thank you." Janet came and sat next to me.

"Mommy, we get to see the baby today?" asked TJ.

"Yes, and we're going to find out if it's a boy or girl." They smiled.

"It's a girl." Tommy turned to TJ.

"Yeah, it's a girl mommy."

"We'll see."

"I'm excited." TJ bounced.

"Me too. If it's a sister, can we buy her a doll?"

"Yes, sweetie." They squealed.

"Mrs. Braxton." The nurse called.

"Come on, boys." I held their hands as we walked back to the exam room.

"Okay, Mrs. Braxton. You've done this before so you know the drill." We laughed.

"Yes, I do." Janet put the stroller against the wall.

"Boys, turn this way." I turned the boys around and we faced the wall while Janet got situated.

"I'm done." We turned back around and she was sitting on the exam bed. A knock came on the door.

"Hey, hey. How's my favorite patient?"

"Auntie Missy!" The boys ran to her and hugged her legs.

"Hi, my god babies."

"Auntie, is mommy having a sister?" They jumped up and down.

"We'll see. Remember what auntie taught you about the doctor's office?" They nodded and ran to the chairs to sit down with their hands folded. "Good job."