9) perishable

It was the next day and Lydia, Scott, and Parrish came over to see if Derek knew what Parrish was.

Sofia stood off to the side while Derek examined Parrish. "He covered you in gasoline" Derek asked.

"It's the hair and nails, isn't it the parts of body that are essentially dead" Lydia asked as Derek stopped examining Parrish. "Well, they should be gone" Derek said.

"I was set on fire all of me should be gone" Parrish said.

"Not if you're like us" Scott said. "Like you" Parrish asked. "I don't think he's like us" Derek said.

"Then what is he" Lydia asked. "Sorry but I have no idea" Derek said.

"But you knew about Jackson and Kira" Scott said. "Okay just because he knew about them doesn't mean he knows about Parrish" Sofia said backing Derek up.

"This is a little out of my experience there might be something in the bestiary" Derek said. "Did you try Argent" Derek asked.

"I don't know where he is" Scott said. "Okay hold on what's a bestiary actually that's not even my first question just, just tell me one thing are all of you like Lydia are you all psychic" Parrish asked.

"Psychic" Derek asked. "You think Lydia's psychic" Sofia asked. "Huh well I honestly wouldn't be surprised if psychics exist" Sofia said.

Yeah, not exactly" Scott said to Parrish. "Okay then what are you" Parrish asked and Scott looked at Derek who gave him a nod Scott closed his eyes then opened them glowing their alpha color.

>>>

"What's, a Kanima" Parrish asked. "We'll get back to that" Sofia said.

"Just know that everyone like us, everyone with some kind of supernatural ability is on the dead pool" Scott said.

"But I don't even know what I am" Parrish said. "I'm pretty sure they don't care" Derek said.

"How many professional assassins are we talking about" Parrish asked. "We're starting to lose count" Lydia said. "But is it still just professionals" Scott asked.

"I don't think Haigh's ever tried anything like this I think he was taking a chance" Parrish said. "Well, that's good to know instead of a cop protecting you they kill you for money" Sofia said.

"That means anyone with the dead pool could take a chance" Derek said.

"But if Haigh had it then who else does how easy is it to get this thing now" Parrish asked.

>>>

"Meredith was only at my grandmother's lake house once but I think once was enough" Lydia said.

"How did your grandmother know her" Sofia asked. "She didn't, she found her because of another woman named Maddy the woman she loved" Lydia told him.

"I never met her, but I saw her name everywhere she used to be part of a yacht racing team there were plaques and trophies it's in the lake house from all the regattas she'd won" Lydia said.

"How did she die" Parrish asked. "How's not the story it's what happened right before my grandmother Lorraine used to work in San Francisco for IBM she was there on a weekend catching up on work she started hearing this sound like rain" Lydia said.

"But when she looked out the windows all she saw was blue sky" Lydia said.

"But she kept hearing the rain" Scott asked. "And it just kept getting louder rain and thunder cracking like gunshots in her head so loud she finally just screamed" Lydia said. "Like a banshee" Derek said.

"She called Maddy who was planning on taking one of the boats out on the lake, but Maddy said that the sun was shining there too so Lorraine didn't say anything" Lydia said.

"There was an accident" Parrish said. "It took them four days to find Maddy's body and then it took decades to figure out how Lorraine knew she started with parapsychologists, like the PhD in their name made it more scientific they built the study in the lake house according to every pseudoscientific theory they could find, none of it worked, so then she started going to more extreme occult things like mediums and psychics, all of them were failures, until she found Meredith, they found her in Eichen House" Lydia said.

"This fragile girl who didn't understand the things she heard they brought her to the study and they almost killed her she was hospitalized for over a year she never really recovered my grandmother drove her insane I drove her to suicide and all she ever wanted to do was help, my grandmother created the code for the dead pool, they think she's the banshee who put the names out in the first place she left me this message in the same code" Lydia said.

"But she didn't leave a cipher key did she" Scott asked and Lydia shook her head no.

>>>

Sofia went to make sure Lydia was okay before she left as Scott saw a gun on Derek's pillow picking it up and Derek saw as he went to him.

"Careful with that" Derek said. "I thought you didn't like guns" Scott said and then gave it back to Derek. "Does this have something to do with your eyes" Scott asked.

"My eyes, my strength, the healing all of it" Derek told him. "Gone" Scott asked.

"Whatever Kate did to me it's still happening" Derek said putting the gun down.

"If the dead pool was really made by a banshee, then there's something else that you should know about, your name broke the third list it was a cipher key" Scott said.

"And the two other keys were Allison and Aiden" Derek said.

"And I don't want to make you nervous but it kind of feels like there might be a pattern there doesn't it, Aiden, Allison, you" Scott asked.

"Names picked by a banshee" Derek said. "It, it could mean that you're in danger" Scott said.

"Scott banshees don't predict danger they predict death" Derek said.  "Derek, you can't die if you die, I'm not sure if Sofia will ever be the same" Scott said.

>>>

Derek and Sofia went to the school after Mason called her about Scott and they started fighting some guys while Sofia used her strength and Derek relied on his human side.

Sofia saw a cop trying to get up as she went to him and kicked him making him go unconscious.

"Remind me to never get on your bad side" Derek said to Sofia. Derek went over to Scott. "What happened to the gun" Scott asked.

"You're covered in gasoline" Derek said. "Oh yeah" Scott said and Derek helped Scott up.

Lex here don't forget to feel free to comment and ask questions.