Nine

Steve POV

It was time. Nat and Clint had returned from their recon with the details that set the plan in motion. They were going to get him back. Steve's skin was fucking crawling with urgency as they gathered in the war room to go over the final details. He couldn't stand still, pacing the space behind his normal seat.

"We will have Dr. Cho on standby. Banner is with her now getting everything ready." Tony finished up going over the plan.

Liv walked in, pausing at the door before sitting next to Nat.

Steve stopped his pacing and shared a look with Tony. They'd discussed it. Bringing her into the field posed a huge risk. She'd only just gotten back into training and using her magic to her full capability. But she was ready. There was no doubt about that. Having her on the team was an essential part of the plan they'd settled on. First thing they had to do was inform her of the situation.

Steve faced her, bracing himself for her reaction. "We found him."

Her face lit up. "Really? Oh my gosh, that's wonderful news! What's the plan? When do you leave?"

"We." Tony answered.

"Huh?" Liv looked around at everyone, clearly confused.

"When do we leave." Tony explained.

"You're coming with us, Liv." Steve couldn't help his small smile, sharing in her joy.

"Really?" Her disbelief was evident in her tone.

As one they all nodded.

"Are- are you sure?"

Nat reached out and took Liv's hand. "We are more than sure. You're ready for this and we all agree you will be a valuable asset to the mission."

She was clearly dumbstruck, her jaw working though no words actually left her mouth.

Steve opted to continue where they'd left off, giving her the chance to process. "Vision and Wanda are already helping Bruce load up the jet. Thor should be arriving shortly. We'll go over the plan en route. Suit up everyone, we're going to get our friend back."

Steve gave Liv a final smile before heading out. He stopped by the armory to suit up, double checking each item on his utility belt with practiced movements. Placing the shield in its spot on his back felt like the final task, it weighed down on his shoulders with finality. He was ready.

As he made the walk to the jet, his nerves fired back up. Nat and Clint were already at the helm, going through pre-flight checks. Tony walked up the ramp, Bruce at his side as they discussed the plans for Buck when they got back.

Thor was next to board, giving Steve a slap on the shoulder in greeting. "I have waited for this day."

"We all have." Steve agreed.

"Hey Cap, I left the case with the sedatives out there. Would you grab it?" Bruce asked over his shoulder.

Steve made his way back down the ramp, pausing when Liv appeared at the edge of the hangar in a plume of shadows. It was something he'd watched her fine tune with Wanda in the training gym a few days ago.

"Hey, there you are! What are you wearing?" Steve called out.

She jerked, reaching up to brush at her face before turning. Her cheeks were red and her eyes clearly held unshed tears.

"It's my new suit. Tony made it for me." Liv gave him a halfhearted smile.

He frowned. "Hey, you okay?"