chapter 29: The horde

Liam Pov

Standing in front of me was the horde of a couple thousand beasts. Sylvie and Murray were on my right and left ready to take on what was upon us .

"Ready guys , let's go !" At my signal the three of us launched spells that were devastating the land and the horde. This was the first part of the plan, using magic to freeze, cut, and smash everything, and once our mana pool hit the half we would go into melee.

The horde was 10 miles long and 2 miles wide, all the beasts that weren't SS class were not a problem for us, but if a scythes or something like that appeared it would be a problem.

After 30 minutes of consecutive spells we hit half of our mana pools , even with mana rotation it wasn't enough, about half of the horde were now crushed. We dove inside the horde with a wide range between each of us, since we will use a long range attack to take most of them.

I conjured a long ice sword coated in wind mana for a wind strike that cut through multiple beasts. After 30 more minutes, I felt a spike in the atmospheric mana. It was coming from Elenoir forest, where Teria and Art were supposed to be. I was about to move but Sylvie appeared in front of me.

"She can handle it, don't worry." Said Sylvie as she killed multiple beasts with her claws and tail. I nodded and continued to fight.

We couldn't take all the beats by ourselves, compared to firing spells at the horde, going in as a melee was slower but more efficient for my core, and this went on for some hours. I fell into a pattern of slashing, countering and killing everything that was on my way. And for the first time since my training with Kodri, I could see my technique improving.

It was small but noticeable for me. Once we arrived at the end of the horde there were still a lot behind us, so we flew to see where they made it only to see that they were already at the golems, but along the way I could see how much the defenses and traps were useful.

I took the time to replenish my core in case of anything, "How is Art doing Sylv?" I asked her, she focused for a moment before looking at me with a worried face.

I flew to the wall killing every beast with small blue metal balls, hundreds of people have died and hundreds are injured but the losses were not as big as estimated. The soldiers beneath me were cheering for me Sylvie and Murray.

We landed on the top of the wall and Trodius approached me.

"General, congratulations on this mission you are requested at the flying castle by the commandant." Said Trodius with a bow. This battle took more than 10 hours, even if I am this strong all those beasts were a real pain in the ass.

I went to see my family first, it was easy to spot Ellie since Boo was standing beside her. I picked them up and went to the medical tent, inside were all the Twin Horns and her parents. Fortunately they were all ok without major injury.

"Alice, Reynold I'm requested at the castle, do you guys want to come with us?" I asked them, they looked at both me and Ellie but denied the offer.

"It's okay sweetie, you can go now since the horde is finished you have your duty to attend. Plus we're not going on a mission for now so maybe later. And for Ellie school it's ok she can go we will pay for the fees." Said Reynold, Ellie was jumping around with Sylvie and Murray.

My ring started burning so I took out the scroll from it "Hello commander?" I asked.

"Liam! great, come back to the Castle as fast as possible. Little one is in bad shape." I nodded and closed the scroll.

Before going through the door I looked back. "Don't worry Art already paid for the fees, a lance salary is way more than we could ever think. And your daughter is gonna be alright" I said with a smile, not letting them have the time to answer back. I took Ellie and Boo and flew away. Sylvie and Murray tried to catch up but couldn't.