31 || My Sleeping Beauty

song: atlantis - seafret

.....

matteo verrati

"She wasn't in the right state of mind."

Thump.

"She hasn't been in the right state of mind for months."

Thump.

"It wasn't her."

Thump.

"Are you listening to me?"

My eyes flicker to meet Sebastian's. His eyes are filled with worry and sympathy. For Alice or me, I don't know. I don't care. "I didn't.." I clear my dry throat. "I should've called as soon as I knew something was wrong but I didn't."

"You went into shock."

"I was trained to react quickly—"

Sebastian's hand lands on my shoulder. Gripping it tightly, he forces me to look him in the eyes. "No amount of training could've prepared you for that." He says sternly, leaving no room for argument. "This is not your fault, Matteo."

I swallow my emotions and change the subject. "Have you heard anything?"

"Not yet, they'll be out soon."

Nodding, I swift in my seat, the sound of crinkling paper fills the silent room and we both stiffen, knowing exactly what's in my pocket.

Her suicide letter.

"Did you give Alice hers?"

He grimaces. "Yes."

"Why aren't you with her?" I question. If he left Alice alone in her grief and shock to be with me, I'm going to break his nose.

He sighs, scrubbing his face with his hand. "She wanted to be alone."

I sit up straighter. "Tell me you didn't—"

"I called Santi to be with her. I couldn't leave you alone." He searches my face, gauging my reaction

Parts of me want to protest but my appreciation overpowers it. Though he annoys the shit out of me sometimes, he's stuck with me through everything. He's always had my back through my cold and cruel attitude. It's rare you find loyalty like that. "Seb.."

The door opens, revealing a woman in dark blue scrubs. "Gentlemen." She acknowledges.

I'm up on my feet before the words leave her mouth. I prepare myself mentally to hear the words. The practiced, "We did everything we could." but it never comes. She smiles softly before giving me a spiel of shit I don't understand. When she finished we both stare blankly at her.

She purses her lips and gives a nod of understanding. "May I be frank?"

"By all means."

"We performed a procedure called gastric lavage, meaning we pumped the drugs out of her stomach. The procedure was successful. The biggest struggle was reviving her heart, she coded twice while we pumped her stomach but after that.." Her voice fades as I'm overcome by overwhelming sense of relief.

She's alive.

My knees give out, making me fall back onto my chair. "Can I see her?" I blurt out.

"Of course. I'll lead the way."

Once I will my legs to work, I mindlessly follow her. All I can see is her face, all I can hear is her voice. The need to touch her warm skin overpowers the rest of my senses.