Marriage

Marriage is a term that had a subjective meaning. To some people, it was a way of solidifying a union of love between two people, some view marriage as an opportunity for bragging to all around them.

But to you and Matt, marriage was sneaking away from movie premieres early to watch cheesy movies and eat pizza, while laughing under the sheets. Marriage was getting each other stuffed animals of your favourite cartoon characters.

Marriage was you and Matt standing at your own wedding, during the slow dance, both completely focused on each other. Marriage was Matt leaning over to you during his brothers toast and whispering, "I'd rather be watching Clueless with you right now' before he kissed your head.

And for a while, that's what marriage was.

Sometimes, you'd be making a smoothie and you'd notice new paints Matt bought for you. Despite telling him that you had more than enough supplies, he'd always buy you more. You loved painting and selling your work. The art room of the house was always in use and some paintings hung up on the wall.

When your body ached from painting, Matt would be ready in bed to rub the knots out of your body. He would kiss your neck and melt into you.

"Inseparable" was a word Laura used to describe you both when she saw Matt asking you about your art. He was like a lovesick teenager, waiting for the onlooker you were speaking with to go away; so he could talk to you.

Whenever Matt would wrap his arms around your waist, you would memorise how his fingers felt on your skin. The way your head fit perfect beneath his chin.

Matt noticed things too.

Like how you would hold his ring and pinky finger because your hands were too small for his. He noticed how your thumbs rubbed circles on his skin when you held him.

-

It was September when the guys were on their tour. The leaves were green, still stuck to the branches, but some yellow ones occasionally fell on your walk to the art gallery.

Matt promised he'd call you when he landed. This leg of his tour was in Europe, so the time difference was crazy.

You always heard old couples talking about how their marriage faded, or complaining about how their love was just a shadow of what it once was. You had yet to feel that with Matt. You still felt your mind focus on the happiness of hearing from him later.

As far as you were concerned, you and Matt were still as love blind as you'd been at the start of the relationship before marriage.

The flight tracking app that you installed stated that Matt's flight landed four hours ago, but you took into consideration the customs, the drive to the hotel and check in, and you chose to ignore the voice in your head telling you to worry.

You spent the day in the art gallery, ignoring the itch in your mind telling you to call Matt and find out what he's doing. You bought a chocolate croissant from a local bakery and made your way back to your apartment.

When you got there, you took your clothes off before getting into the shower. You turned a playlist on, realising they were all Matt's favourite songs.

A ding from your phone interrupts your music. You stopped lathering and washed the shampoo off your fingers. You reached for your phone, disappointed when you read the text message.

'Hey, babe. Just landed. I'm tired, I'll talk to you tomorrow. Love you'

You were aware of the fact his flight landed hours ago, but you didn't read into it too much. You came up with an excuse that he probably sent it when he first landed, but it didn't go through until now