Chapter II: Octopus's Garden

The weather was gorgeous outside. The sky was a refreshing shade of blue and the clouds were no bother. I watched the birds make happy fools of themselves and I wanted to join them. Time seemed to move slower outside and yet there was never enough. It was early spring so there was no shortage of bugs but they left me well enough alone. I wanted to do something productive so I grabbed a pair of gloves and a bucket and climbed into the vegetable garden.

Weeds seem to sprout out of nowhere overnight. And if you don't stay on top of them, they demand complete and utter surrender. The tomato plants were surrounded and even the red ripe ones were afraid to drop into their clutches. That is, until I stepped in. 

No weed was left unpicked. Not a single one left and it only took me fifteen minutes. The bucket was half full and the gloves were filthy. My knees were red and stinging and my mini skirt had a few stray pieces of dirt. I was starting to sweat and my back ached.

But the garden looked beautiful. 

I removed the gloves and left the bucket where it was. It was getting hot out and I was hungry for lunch. As soon as I opened the back door, three small toddlers screamed at the tops of their lungs.

Back to work.