Chapter XL: Up To My Neck In You

I inspected myself in the mirror. A white crop top with a silver necklace, my denim shorts and my green flannel shirt. I put my hair in pigtails so it wouldn't get in my food if we ate brekkie. I debated between my boots and joggers and ended up picking my joggers. I wasn't sure how long our date would last but I wanted to make the most of it. 

I didn't eat much at my hotel room just to make sure I was hungry. I hoped I would get hungry soon because I didn't really feel like I was. Maybe I was nervous or something.

Of course I'm nervous, I'm going on a date with a cute guy!

Dramamine. That would take care of my problem. I just popped a pill in my mouth and that was that. Just as long as I didn't fall asleep on him. Putting on a good layer of sunscreen and aloe vera to my burn, I was ready. 

It was about ten fifteen when he showed up. 

I opened the door and there he was looking like he had just woken up. "Sorry, hun, woke up a bit later than intended." He yawned. "Are we still on?"

**********

Brunch was light. We got coffee and eggs and I managed to eat about half of it. Angus downed his coffee like a Hoover and left a bit of egg on his plate. "How old are you?" he asked with another yawn.

"I'm twenty two," I said. "I'll be twenty three next month."

"Ya' don't say. I'm twenty three myself. You'll hear in the papers that I'm...nine or somethin' but it isn't true," he grinned. I laughed a little which turned into a small coughing fit. "You alright?"

"Yeah, I just...I caught a cold last month and I'm still getting over it."

"Ya' get sick a lot?"

You have no idea. "Sometimes." He sipped his coffee only to realise there was none left so he set the mug back down.

"You see any other bands live?"

"No. My first concert was you guys back in Sydney."

"Really? I'd have thought you went to shows all the time, ya' have a real knack for findin' talent." He winked. 

"I just..." I shrugged. "I don't usually go to concerts, I've never really found a band that was worth seeing live." The corner of his lips turned up.

"What about us?" I looked him straight in the eye. 

"You're worth it," I said. 

"Thanks, hun." He seemed appreciative of the compliment but suddenly very bashful too. He cleared his throat a few times. For a few minutes both of us just...sat there.

And it wasn't awkward. 

I tapped my nails against the coffee mug and Angus tapped his fingertips against the table. 

Okay, maybe it was a little awkward.

Angus stood from the table and held out his hand. "Let's get a bit of fresh air." I took his hand and felt the callouses on his fingers and the warmth of his palm. Leaving a bit of money on the table we left the restaurant and took over the town. 

**********

By the time we got to the beach it was crowded. More people were playing in the water this time and some were even surfing. I pictured myself surfing and it ended up with me in the back of an ambulance.

I laughed a little.

"What?" Angus asked grinning. I looked away from him.

"Nothing."