Chapter XXXVII: I'm Always Chasing Rainbows

A speckled hen pecked at the dirt. The sun shone on her feathers casting a brilliant sheen. It was hot and would only get hotter as the day wore on. Her beak was open and she scanned the area for shade. There was a wooden board leaning against a fence. Inside was cool and she made her way over. 

There at the entrance was a red hen. She was tall and large and powerful. The speckled hen lowered her head. The red hen's beak came down and stabbed the speckled hen. 

Putting as much distance between herself and the red hen, the speckled hen strutted up to a tub of cool water. Lowering her head she got herself a drink and didn't see the black hen storming closer. The black hen was wide and looming. Again the beak came down and pecked the speckled hen in the eye. 

The speckled hen scurried off and took cover in the enclosure. It seemed safe. No hens in her line of sight, no predators. The food bucket sat alone in the corner, scraps littering the ground. Any time is meal time for a chicken. The hen walked up for a bite to eat, every once in a while raising her head for a look around. Given the all clear, she would continue to munch. 

Behind her an elderly yellow hen pushed her way into the enclosure and didn't like what she saw. With a swift bite and a pull of a feather she ordered the speckled hen out of there. 

Every day the speckled hen kept her eyes wide open. She never lowered her head for too long and never froze when a larger hen came her way. Before she could feel the mighty pain of their beaks she ran. She kept to herself.

She kept to herself.