Chapter LIV: I'm Going Home

Clouds increased by the dozen out the window. I pulled the sleeves of my Los Angeles sweatshirt over my cold hands. My leg bounced up and down. Sleep beckoned to me...

**********

"Are ya' doin' okay?"

I nodded. He took my hand and squeezed it. 

"You're sure about this?" he asked. I nodded again staring at the floor. "If you ever decide to come back....there's always room."

I could have cried again. My nails dug themselves into my palm to contain any oncoming emotional havoc while my muscles screamed.

"I'll write," he said running his thumb over my knuckles. "I'll let you know where we're headin' an' all. I'd even call if it didn't cost a limb."

I wanted to laugh but my heart wasn't in it. Angus leant over the armrest and kissed my cheek. 

"We'll cross paths again," he said. "Got a feelin', ya' know?" I pulled my feet up on my chair and hugged my knees. "Dunno if ya' knew this," he whispered. "But I have a sense about these things. Call it a third eye, if you will." I finally looked into his eyes. 

His wonderful and kind Angus eyes. 

There were still only two of them.

"When the tour's finished I'll pay ya' a visit." He brushed some hair behind my ear. "We'll pick up right where we left off. We'll have tea, find a diner or somethin'...you'll see." He grinned and I couldn't even attempt one in return. The number was called. We both sat there. I stood up first. Angus brushed his palms over his jeans. But before I walked the Road of No Return....

My arms threw themselves around his neck. He crushed me to him tempting me to stay. Rivers of people flowed around us and we didn't even notice. 

**********

I opened my bag of macadamia nuts and ate one, immediately setting the bag down. I didn't want them. The clouds morphed from a cheerful white to a gloomy grey. As if they knew how I felt. 

Talk about a bad omen.

My brain melted into daydream. Chatter turned to buzzing, the engine turned to white noise...

**********

Linda had given me her best wishes. Hugs from her and Cathy left me feeling warm and cold at the same time. Phil looked at me...almost...sympathetically....I wish I had gotten to know him a bit more. 

Maybe next time.

Cliff told me to stay safe and that they'd be back in Oz before I knew it. I could drop by the studio anytime and there'd be no intrusion. 

What a lad.

Bon picked me up off the floor in what was probably the tightest hug I've ever been given. 

Really, I couldn't breathe.

He set me down and tousled my hair, letting me know that I could grill him if he didn't pop in at least once. Since he knew where I lived.

That was comforting. 

Beth couldn't be there unfortunately but Bon said a goodbye for her too. Said she had a lot of fun at the party and would never forget my "Coffee Table Salsa Sweep", as she called it. 

Beauty.

Malcolm thanked me for letting Angus follow me around for a change. He got a break from babysitting. 

Angus elbowed him in the ribs and Malcolm swore at him. 

They loved each other. 

I took one last look at the palm trees. The hotels and the restaurants. The banks and the libraries. All of the people floating around like glitter in the city. 

A one of a kind experience. 

**********

My legs demanded stretching. Food remained untouched on my tray, not wanting to upset my delicate stomach. I managed one Dramamine and one Benadryl, hoping and praying that would be enough. 

**********

"You are?"

"I mean it this time."

"Should I pick you up?"

"Yes, please."

"I'll see you tonight."

"...bye...."

**********

It started to rain. Droplets raced each other on the window. The city came closer and closer and closer....then suddenly I was part of it. 

**********

What will they say to me?

What kind of environment will I return to?

What do they think of my stunt?

What awful things have been happening in the world while I was gone?

I'll find out soon enough.

**********

I gave Mum a hug. She seemed happy to see me. Traffic slowed the trip home. Rain swallowed Sydney and my summer. I was painfully tired. 

Mum said my room was empty again. Nothing had been moved around. Nothing had been touched.

Not even my shame. 

**********

"I'll see you soon, okay?" he asked. I could only nod. With one last kiss on my cheek he looked me straight in the eye. "No matter what happens," he said. "We'll still be friends."

And then he was gone.