Chapter XXV: Dog Eat Dog

Someone's shoe hit my head. I looked up to see who threw it when another one came flying by and hit the window. She stood there laughing and squealing at the top of her lungs.

My head hurt.

Her name was Daisy. 

She was the smallest of the three but her voice carried across the Tasman sea. The second one, named Charlotte, was a red headed girl who did whatever everyone else was doing, even if it wasn't a good idea. Numerous times I've caught her removing ornaments off the Christmas tree or colouring on the walls. And if Daisy decided to throw her shoes, she did too. 

Rosemary sat on my lap playing with a toy giraffe. I didn't mind her as much. She was the cutest of them all and despite her tendency to climb furniture like an actual primate and laugh in the face of time out, I got along with her. 

Until she threw monster tantrums.

Occasionally I let her play with the old toys in my bedroom. Stuffed animals, toy horses with a stable, and even things that weren't toys like books and shoes. I'd known her for a year now and she had quickly become the closest thing to my own daughter that I had. 

I loved her.

"Jaff," she said holding it up for me. 

"Gir-affe," I repeated. She smiled and stuck her tongue out. 

"Where's de baby?" she asked holding out her arms. 

"That's the only giraffe there is," I said. "There is no baby." 

"Baby go?" How do you explain the sterility of stuffed animals? 

Mother had gotten another call from my brother and stayed in the kitchen to talk to him. I sat in the living room making sure the toddlers didn't kill each other. The television was on but nobody was paying attention. Throwing shoes was much more exciting. 

Rosemary got bored of her giraffe and got up to run down the hallway. The others followed and I closed my eyes and laid back against the couch thinking I could have a rest. 

Until one started screaming.

Then another.

Apparently Rosemary had gotten hold of Charlotte's doll and tried wrenching it out her hands. Charlotte held on tight but Rosemary had an iron grip. And then started the inevitable hair pulling.

A good chunk had been ripped off Charlotte's head before I stepped in. I returned the doll to its rightful owner and escorted the others back to the living room. Rosemary was pissed off that she couldn't have the doll and Daisy just stared at the scene with wide eyes. 

I threw the chunk of red hair away as Charlotte's crying filled the house. Poor kid didn't have much hair as it was. 

Mum didn't seem to notice anything had even happened. Before I even set one foot out of the kitchen I heard Daisy scream. Rosemary had accidentally bumped into her. 

And more hair was pulled. 

It would have been funnier if I weren't the one dealing with it. 

My blood pressure must have been fatal. I've never been a motherly person. I've always preferred the company of dogs or cats. Not...whatever this was. But I could always use a little extra money alongside my other part time job. I was perfectly capable of helping my mum out.

But sometimes....I wish I got a little help in return.