Chapter LV: The Song Is Over

"Hannah sleeping?"

"Shhh, yes, Hannah is sleeping."

Three knocks on my bedroom door. Then hundreds of tiny footsteps from only two tiny feet scurrying to the living room. Piano notes. My very own alarm clock conducted by a toddler. 

Time for work.

I trudged to the bathroom and got a good look. My hair was a rat's nest and my eyes were filled with crust. My back ached, my feet covered in callouses. 

But I felt okay.

I had already been treated to a dinner of endless questions and vegetable soup, and a ripe dessert of apple pie and doomsday reports. 

Everything would be okay.

Rosemary ran to show me her empty bowl so I could fill it with cereal and raisins. Charlotte started school. Daisy had gone on vacation. It was just us three for the day. 

And that was okay.

I called my friend as soon as I could. She didn't blame me for being too busy to call but I could tell I had hurt her. I wanted to apologise, tell her everything I had been through, everything I had seen and done.

And I wanted to read. 

I wanted to garden.

I wanted to put on a record and dance to the music. 

I wanted to play games with Rosemary while Mum fixed lunch. 

It was good to be home. 

I'll see them again. And until then I'll put my records on and enjoy a concert right in my very own room. I'll drown out my family's comments. I'll ignore the negative view of the world. I'll focus on myself for now. Or....at least I'll try. 

And I think I'll make a cup of tea. 

To Be Continued...