Chapter XLIX: I'll Follow The Sun

It was bucketing.

I had a nightmare about two crocs chasing me around my house, snapping at my legs. They were male and female, probably hoping to fill the house with more of their plague. The male was aggro and ravenous. At the time I was frightened and desperate, but looking back it was a silly dream. 

I woke up with a slight headache and felt a bit chilly. Sitting up was a bit of a chore as I felt a bit of pain in my lower back and shoulders. Angus was sitting on the bed playing his guitar wearing shorts and a huge t shirt. He smiled at me and continued to play. "Mornin', love," he said keeping his focus on his fingers. Thunder boomed again louder than it had been last night. "Thank fuck we're not playin' today, huh?"

I laid back down listening to Angus' playing. It wasn't very intelligible what he was playing without the amp but it sounded good all the same. He's a very talented man. 

He's Angus McKinnon...

After a few minutes he looked over at me and at the glass of water on the table, almost empty. "Need more water or something'?"

I sat up. "I can get some myself," I said.

He set his guitar down and got up. "Nah, it's no trouble." He took the glass and went into the kitchen returning with it full. I drank some, my mouth feeling a little dry again. Angus sat on the edge of the bed and put his hand on my leg. "Hungry at all?"

Food never appealed to me in the mornings. I often skipped breakfast. I shook my head and continued to sip my water. 

"Well...." He sighed and looked around the room. "I dunno if you wanted to do anythin' today....if you're feelin' well enough or..." He shrugged. "But we have the day off today so...but it's also rainin' an'....." I set my glass down. "What about tea?" he asked. "Up for a cup?"

I smiled stupidly at the rhyme. As long as I drank enough water I thought a cup of tea wouldn't hurt. "Sure."

He stood up to make some tea and I lay back down. More thunder followed a flash of lightning. I pulled the covers over my head.

I was scared of thunderstorms. 

I curled into a ball under the covers and thought up a plan for the day. I could call my parents, that is if the power didn't cut out. And I could phone my friend as well. More painkillers would do well for my cramps and headache and a tiny bit of food just so I didn't die. I wasn't sure Angus wanted to stay in the hotel room all day though. Maybe Bon or Phil would drop by and they'd go out somewhere. 

Angus came back quite a while later with two mugs of black tea with milk. He had dressed in jeans and a jumper and had apparently fixed his hair a little. "Here ya' are. Fresh off the stove." I took a careful sip. He drank his too and sighed. "Where are those smokes..." Scanning the room he didn't find them and left the room again, returning with a packet of cigarettes. He set them on his nightstand. "I'll have a few later," he said. "Ya' know, so as not to make ya' feel worse."

"Thank you," I muttered shyly.

Angus came back to his side of the bed and picked up his guitar, his tea taking a spot next to the cigarettes. More thunder. He laughed a little when I moved closer to him and pulled the blanket closer. "Just a bit of thunder," he said. "It can't hurt you." 

"All the same," I mumbled into his jumper. He put an arm around me. 

"I'll protect you, sweetheart. Let that ol' thunder try an' take my girl." The rain poured harder. Angus and I stayed at the hotel that day. We watched some cartoons, drew each other some more pictures and made a lunch that I didn't eat. Angus made a few phone calls while the power still worked and I took a nap. 

I never did make the call home.

I didn't wake up until five in the evening according to Angus' watch. By then I was feeling a little hungrier and Angus insisted he make some soup for me. He gave me the bowl while I was still lying in bed and even filled up my glass of water again. The soup was good, and Angus relaxed next to me closing his eyes. After I finished I lay down next to him. 

Shyly I wrapped my arms around his waist, hugging him. He was still very warm and very safe.

My feelings for him grew a bit stronger. 

He really was a wonderful man.

The rain lulled us to sleep.