Chapter XXVI: Act Naturally

Another week went by before the concert was announced. Just as Angus said they were playing a pub in Newcastle at the end of February. Counting out some bills I had enough for a ticket, a pass, and a hearty dinner afterwards. 

Now how was I to get there?

A taxi. I'd get a taxi. 

I was running short on cab fare and I hesitated to ask my mum for any. Maybe the less she knew about these meet and greets the better. 

I could have asked my dad but....I'd like to think that any money he earned belonged to him. He didn't buy himself things very often and I hated to take any of that away from him. Most of it went towards Mum's groceries and bills anyway. 

I decided to skip the hearty dinner. 

**********

It must have been the hottest day of the year. I slabbed on two coats of deodorant and opted for a mini skirt again. By now I was praying for goosebumps on my legs if only that meant I could cool down. I couldn't find a suitable top so I just...didn't wear one. 

Too hot anyway.

With the ticket in my purse, the pass around my neck, and the pill in my system, I was out the door. 

I had asked the cabbie to park a few houses down so Mum wouldn't see. If she knew how far I was going by myself at night, she probably wouldn't let me. 

Good to know she cares.

As promised the taxi sat by the curb at the neighbour's house. The driver was a middle aged woman with large hoop earrings and lipstick. "Where to, miss?"

I gave her the address and she gaped. 

"You able to pay for that, hun?"

I sure as hell hoped so or I would be driving this thing.

Two hours wasn't so bad, right?

**********

Two hours was purgatory.

Not to mention the horrible traffic and the blistering heat. The sun hadn't gone down yet since I left at five hoping to get there on time. I felt so bad for this woman driving me but I hoped a decent amount of cash would cheer her up. 

At seven thirty on the dot she let me out at a barber shop. Actually she practically ejected me from the seat and I don't blame her. I paid her more than what was due and thanked her profusely. 

"I'm sorry about the long drive, this means a lot to me."

She even smiled a little. "Well, you have a good time tonight, alright, doll?"

When she drove away I noticed my legs were sore and my neck ached. I needed to get my blood flowing again so I took a walk down the street to find the right pub. 

It couldn't have been more obvious. 

A huge sign stood out front announcing AC/DC would be playing at eight. The windows of the joint were covered in flyers and a brick wall had been spray painted saying "ACCA DACCA FOR THE DRONGOS". 

Must have been a casual fan.

Before I could miss them walking onstage I ran inside and found a place near the back. This place, unlike the last, was packed. Hoards of sweaty sardines all stuck together in an amber fueled sea.

We were proud drongos. 

Not long after I got in the announcer picked up the microphone and introduced the boys. I reached into my purse and blanched.

I had left my headphones at home. 

The room we were in carried noise very easily and my ears already hurt a little. I tried ignoring the knot my insides had tied themselves into and weighed all my options. I could leave but I paid for a ticket and I wanted to see them perform. I could just hike up my skirt and deal with it but I didn't know how much fun I would have being so uncomfortable. I reached for the second option, knowing that if everyone else could handle the volume, if the boys themselves could handle it, then I could too. 

Angus came out like always followed by the rest. I couldn't see any of them real well but maybe that was for the best. If I could see them, then they could see me and I wasn't about to make it obvious that I was struggling. 

I'm fine. I'm fine. I'm always fine. 

Heartbeat racing...bright lights stinging my eyes....my internal organs vibrating....

One mistake and suddenly I was aware of every bone in my body. There was no excruciating pain but a general discomfort. And that alone was enough to distract me from the show. 

There were enough people there to make my getaway to the bathroom as clandestine as possible. If I could just find them....aha. Ten feet away. I made one last glance at the stage and cursed myself for being so careless. I cursed myself for being so sensitive and I cursed myself for being so...

Difficult. 

I ran into the ladies' room and stayed in the farthest corner. Already I was calming down. My eyes welled up with frustration but I reasoned with myself. I've been lucky enough to see them twice before, and hanging out with them at their studio. This wasn't the end of the world and I still had my backstage pass.

I still had it, right?

Okay, good. I still had one brain cell left. Although waiting around in the bathroom for them to finish the concert wasn't at all what I had planned for the night. Maybe I could....peek out the door?

I opened the door as far as I dared and the fireworks filled up the room. I saw Cliff first, then Phil, then Bon. They were great. They were working their arses off to give us a great show and I couldn't handle it. Inching the door open a little wider I saw Angus run across the stage and Malcolm singing into the microphone. The crowd in front of me was high on rock and roll and they surrendered to the band's control. 

For a split second I thought I saw Angus look my way and I quickly closed the door. There's no way he saw me through that jungle. 

There's no way.