Chapter XXXVIII: The Night Before

I didn't go to the Rainbow that night.

I didn't even leave my hotel room that night. 

Whether it was the summer heat, something I ate that morning, or just sheer misfortune but I felt horribly sick. Nauseous and a mild headache. I could do nothing but lay around in bed and hope I could sleep. I had taken a Dramamine but it only helped so much. 

I lost myself in the roar of the AC and kicked the bed covers off me. Minute by minute, hour by hour. I finally felt well enough to go to the kitchen and find myself a glass of water. Thirst satisfied I stumbled back into bed and buried my face into my pillow. 

More than anything at that moment I wanted to go home. 

**********

I found Cliff the next morning by accident. 

After getting a fruitful six hours of sleep and two hours laying around in bed I put on an oversized t shirt and shorts and left to take a walk before it got too hot outside. I got about a block from my hotel when I saw Cliff pushing a bicycle up the hill.

Do I say hi?

Do I smile and wave?

Do I hide behind the wheelie bins?

Luckily he knew what to do and steadied his bike in front of me. "There you are, we didn't see ya' at the show," he said squinting from the hot sun. "Did you make it alright?"

I looked down at my joggers. "I couldn't make it," I said apologetically. "I wasn't feelin' right."

"Aw, that's a shame," he said. "How're you feelin' now?"

"Better," I answered. Aside from a ghost of a headache and an unexplained pain in my left side I was right as rain. I glanced at his bike. "Where're you off to?"

He shrugged. "Jus' gettin' some fresh air. It's nice to have a bit of open space after all the shows, ya' know?" He smiled and shook his hair back. Honestly, his hair was nicer than mine. "You stayin' nearby?"

"Just that way." I pointed from the direction I had come. 

"I see. Well, good to see ya' again." He shook my hand and continued to push his bike. "Oh, Ang was lookin' for you, ya' know. I'll tell him I saw you."

"Alright." I waved goodbye. 

Huh. That's funny.

The pain in my side was gone.