Chapter XXXVI: Sunny Afternoon

The sand was scorching. Sunscreen coated my arms and legs while a pair of sunnies sat unflattering on my face. I was in my best bikini and thongs and I brought along my favorite beach towel with the octopus on it. There was a great spot by the water and I nabbed it before anyone else. 

Venice was stunning. There's no place like home but this was pretty damn good. 

I managed to skip a taxi ride and walk to Santa Monica Boulevard and took a bus to the pier. I had never seen such a carnival in my life. Had I been the adventurous type I would have spent my day there but I much preferred the quiet life of the beach so I took a shuttle to Venice. 

The people here were so laid back, so relaxed and happy. I wanted to join them so I spread out my towel and sat down. 

I opened my book. I brought Player Piano, a hilarious story of a machine-driven future. There were a couple of kids playing with a beach ball and several were combing for shells. Others were sunbaking like I was. There were a few dogs without leashes skipping in the waves and fetching various toys for their owners. 

My neck began to hurt a little so I set my book down and reclined on my towel. It was warm on my back and the sun pierced my skin from above. Waved droned in the distance. Rising and falling....rising and falling....rising and falling....