Chapter XIII: Too Much Of Anything

"Did you decide about the beach?"

I had rehearsed about ten times in my head how I would answer that question. And now my brain could only put forth mush.

"Well...I do like the beach," I admitted. "But...there's something else I've been wanting to do for a while." I paused, thinking up how to break the news delicately. "And I'd like to do that instead."

Mum put down her coffee. "What's that?"

"I bought a concert ticket."

"A concert ticket?" I nodded. "Who?"

I grimaced. The arch enemy band to all Christian parents. Shirtless singers, grinning guitarists removing their clothes, and all of them--according to my father--"exploring each other onstage".

"...AC/DC..."

"AC/DC????"

I bristled. "What's wrong with them?"

"Aren't they those naked guys you're always showing us pictures of?"

My palms couldn't get any sweatier. "They wear clothes!" Not enough for my family.

"You would rather go see them than spend time with your own family?"

Well. Yes.

Hearing my best records in person sounded much more appealing than hearing my siblings make me feel like a degraded piece of shit or my grandmother's political and religious warfare. 

But I didn't say all that. 

All that came out was...

"Sort of..."

**********

"And she said it was okay?"

"She did! I think she was upset though. Putting strange men before my own family."

"Aw, who cares! They're not strange men! Well..." My friend paused. "Anyway. This is so exciting! You're so lucky! I wish they were coming down to New Zealand. I'd definitely buy a ticket. Tell me all about it when you get back. And promise me you'll have fun!"

**********

I don't know why I cried that night. Some people cry when they're happy. I rarely do. I got out of a family function and scored tickets to see the five most handsome and talented men in existence, all coming together to surely make this the happiest night of my life. The thing is...

I didn't feel happy.

I rarely do...