𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐒𝐓 𝐃𝐀𝐘

"You are my treasure and my reward

"You are my treasure and my reward. Let nothing ever come before."

Harley entered the headquarters for the first time.  She essentially agreed to joining the force, since her art wasn't working out, she only hoped Ms. Penny wouldn't be upset. With her dad she talked about it with him. She thought he would resent her for it, but he was supportive.

Her eyes scanned around the area as she followed Jessica to Miguel's office. Jessica turned her head and looked at her with a smirk. "When we enter Miguel's office try not to make him upset. He likes to throw temper tantrums."

Harley snickered and smiled at the woman in front of her. "That's not surprising."

Before the girl knew it, they made it in front of the office door. Harley, nervously, twiddled her thumbs at the thought of meeting this stoic but aggravating man. Jessica opened the door. "You, first."

Harley glanced at the woman with uncertainty, who give the blond a reassuring look. Harley entered the room, a very tense atmosphere in the room. Jessica and Harley stood in the middle of the room and watched as Miguel's platform descended at a sluggish pace. Harley raised an eyebrow and glanced at Jessica. "Is this normal?"

"Yup." Jessica answered. "It's his thing, let him enjoy it."

Miguel turned around and stared at the girl with an unreadable expression. He stood with his hands on his hips. "Let's make this three things clear. I would personally never choose you. You're Jess's problem, not mine. If you turn out to be a liability you will be banned from ever coming back here, do you understand."

'Damn' Harley thought as she nodded along at his words, before staring him down. "What about you?" She asked him with a facetious tone. "What happens when you're a liability?"

"What?" Miguel's eyebrows furrowed; his hands released his hips.

"Well, there's a rumor around that you've been throwing temper tantrums. I was wondering how that would affect your performance at work." Harley continued with a smug smile. Although, she was scared of the man at first, she realized he's just a man that needs to be brought of his high horse. "I mean think about it--"

"Enough." Miguel exclaimed before glaring at Jessica who had to keep herself from smiling. "Jess why did you even choose her."

"The rumor was right, Miguel." Jessica smiled at him. "Besides, Harley is an important asset. She'll be good for the team."

"She's your responsibility."

"I'm not a kid." Harley interjected.

"You act like one." Miguel spit back and glared at the young woman in front of him. It was her first day and she was getting on his nerves. He had to physically hold himself back from flinging one of the items from his desk.

"Sure, old man."

"I'm not old! I'm only two years older than you!"

"That's what they all say."

"Harley." Miguel glared at her, his nose flaring. "Don't argue over something stupid."

Harley had a deadpanned face. 'But didn't he continue it?'

"Stop making that face." Jessica advised the girl.

Harley just shook her head and ran a hand through her hair.

Harley raised her hands in surrender. She didn't want to bruise the man's ego too much. She kept her smile as Miguel roughly gave her an AI wristband. She examined the watch and attempted to understand it.

"It helps you travel through the multiverse. Don't break it."

"What if I do?"

"Immediately, come to me."

"So, you can shout at me?"

"No to fix it."

"Hmm. Okay." Harley continued to examine the wrist, attempting to find all the mechanics and settings of the watch. It would be a while until she figured everything out. Especially Miguel. She perhaps would never understand him.

"We've got to get going." Jessica told Harley who placed the watch on her wrist. Jessica escorted the young girl out of the place.

Miguel watched Harley get escorted out. His eyebrows furrowed and hands on his hips. He ran a hand through his hair as he began walking towards his desk. When he approached the desk, he shoved multiple items of his desk while screaming in anger. He never felt so disrespected in his life. The man thought of the girl as arrogant and annoying.

He realized how much the rumor was correct and he threw temper tantrums.

Miguel shook his head and attempted to sooth himself.

He knew this wasn't the last time the two would have an argument.

"First of all, bollocks." Harley commented as she walked through the forest, the wind blowing in her face. Her dad raised an eyebrow at her before rolling his eyes. "You know it's true." Ben commented.

"I didn't do it!" Harley exclaimed, defending herself, although failing miserably.

"So, you didn't crash my truck into a mailbox of one of the neighbors." Ben asked sarcastically, hiking up his camping backpack. At first, he was enraged about her crashing, but at one point he found it hilarious.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Harley denied, knowing damn well she did it.

"Harley."

"I didn't."

"Harley, I'll literally take away your rocky road ice cream."

"Okay, fine I did it!" Harley admitted. "I only crashed because a dog ran across the street. That's a valid reason, right?"

Ben nodded as he set his bag down onto the floor and began building a tent for both of them to share. He listened to the way his daughter continued defend herself, although he no longer cared for the situation.

Harley continued to ramble until she realized her dad was no longer responding. "Dad, are you even listening to me?!"

"What?"

"Dad!"

[EDITED]