𝐀 𝐃𝐀𝐓𝐄?

"Have I known you 20 seconds or 20 years

"Have I known you 20 seconds or 20 years."

——— (There is an added part to this chapter, please look for this symbol(the three lines.)

[COUNTDOWN]
SEVEN MONTHS BEFORE—

Miguel and Harley strolled down Brooklyn, New York's sidewalks. Eventually, she was able to persuade him to spend time with her. Miguel has gradually forced himself outside of his comfort zone in an effort to get to know her better, despite his reluctance.

"You know Miguel, we should hang out more." Harley remarked, kicking a pebble down the drain. The sound of pedestrians talking filled the air as cars sped past them.

"Why?" Miguel furrowed his eyebrows. He only agreed because he couldn't say 'no' to her. As time passed, the more he wanted to please her and ensure she was happy. Although the deadly disease infecting her wasn't making her happy, but that's beside the point.

"'Cause we're friends, remember. You can't deny it anymore." Harley adjusted the neckline of her sweater. "Besides, I enjoy being around you, surprisingly."

"Why would a boss and co-worker spend time together?" Miguel replied, but paused and thought about the irony of his statement. "Never mind."

"Mhm." She hummed as he shook her hands. Her hands becoming numb from the cold. She blew into her hands, the hot air spreading against her palms to her fingers.

"Mhm." She hummed as she shook her hands back and forth, in an attempt to warm it up. The cold starting to numb her hands. She exhaled into her hands, feeling the warm air stretch from her fingers to her palms.

He caught a glimpse of her straining to warm her hands out of the corner of his eye. His hand sprang out, catching hers. He slipped both hands into the pockets of his hoodie. Despite the uncomfortable position, he made sure she felt warm.

Her confused doe eyes darted up to look at him. He disregarded her and carried on down the sidewalk. They turned left when he noticed the 'Brooklyn Cafe'. He walked towards it, dragging her along. He walked near the door. "C'mon let's warm you up."

He opened the door, gently taking her hands out of the pocketed. She smiled at him and nodded thanks to him. She entered the cafe, Miguel following behind her.

The waitress greeted them. "How many?"

"Two please." Harley answered.

The waitress grabbed two menus and escorted them towards a table. She placed the menu's on the table. "Call whenever you're ready to order."