𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐊𝐘 𝐈𝐒 𝐆𝐑𝐄𝐘

"All the leaves are brown and the sky is grey

"All the leaves are brown and the sky is grey."

[COUNTDOWN]
FOUR MONTHS BEFORE—

Miguel refused to utter a word to Harley for about a month. He still hasn't talked to her yet. The girl wondered why as she spread out on the couch, watching television. Her dad sat down on the recliner chair beside her, a cup of coffee in his hand. Ben took a glimpse at his daughter's face, which had an upset expression.

Ben placed the mug on the coffee table. "Okay, kiddo, what happened?"

"Nothing." Harley denied.

"Bullshit." Ben coughed out and smiled sheepishly when his daughter scowled at him. "Look, I know there's something wrong. Maybe if you tell me, I could help."

"You don't, and you won't."

"Oh, c'mon—hit me."

"It's boy problems."

"Oh, you're right, never mind." He cleared his throat and reclined back in his chair.

Harley snorted quietly and turned her attention back to the TV. She couldn't wait to get her cast off, which would be in a month. Someone abruptly knocked on the door, making the two blondes jolt in surprise.

"Who's knocking on my door at ten o'clock at night?" Ben mumbled to himself. The knocking intensified. "Have mercy!" Been shouted, knowing his brother's knocking pattern. Ben opened the door. It revealed Ethan, who was holding two pizza boxes. One was sausage and pepperoni, and the other was a Hawaiian pizza. "Ethan, did you come here to eat pizza?"

"No." Ethan said it with a toothy grin. "I came here to eat pizza with you two. Now if you will excuse me." Ethan squeezed himself between the door frame and Ben. Barging in without a care in the world.

Ben pursed his lips, already used to his brother's shenanigans.

"Harley—Charlie Bear!" Ethan sang as he placed his pizza boxes on the coffee table. "Guess what I got?"

"Pizza?"

"Yuh—huh."

"What did you get?"

"Sausage and pepperoni, and the other one is Hawaiian."

"Hawaiian? Why?"

"I don't know. Just for fun." Ethan answered honestly, sitting himself on the ground before digging into the food in front of him. "Y'know, buying pizza is one of the best investments of my life."