Getting supplies

1998
Wednesday June 10th

As we entered the little town in search of supplies, excitement mixed with a sense of unease coursed through me. Our group split up, each of us on a mission to gather what we needed. Ginny and I decided to explore an art supply store. Art has always been my solace, a way to express myself amidst the chaos of the magical world.
As we stepped into the art supply store, my eyes immediately scanned the shelves, taking in the array of vibrant paints, elegant brushes, and delicate parchment. Amidst the bustling customers, my gaze fell upon a familiar face—Ashton Ravens. My heart raced as I realized the potential danger lurking beneath his seemingly innocent presence.
Ginny and I exchanged a knowing glance before we approached Ashton, who was engrossed in examining a display of beautifully crafted wands. I mustered a friendly smile and asked, "Excuse me, do you have any recommendations for high-quality paints? I'm particularly fond of oil paints for my portraits."
Ashton looked up, his expression warm and welcoming. "Ah, portraits! They require a delicate touch and rich pigments. I'd suggest trying these," he replied, gesturing toward a selection of finely crafted tubes. "They offer excellent colour saturation and smooth blending capabilities."
Appreciating his expertise, I continued the conversation, curiosity driving me forward. "Are you an artist as well?"
Ashton chuckled lightly. "I dabble, but I'm more of an admirer of art. The way it captures emotions and tells stories never fails to fascinate me."
Feigning casual interest, I probed further, hoping to uncover any hints about his true identity. "Do you have a favourite artist or style?"
His gaze met mine, a glimmer of intrigue in his eyes. "I'm drawn to the works of the Impressionist masters—Monet, Renoir, and their ability to capture fleeting moments with vibrant brushstrokes. But there's beauty in all forms of art, isn't there?"
A sense of unease settled within me as I realized the artful evasion in his response. Sensing that Ginny was growing suspicious as well, I subtly shifted the conversation toward a different direction. "tell me, Ashton, are you from around here? I don't recall seeing you at Hogwarts before."
His smile widened, but there was a subtle hint of guardedness in his eyes. "No, I transferred recently. Hogwarts is a magnificent school. I must admit, it's been quite an adjustment, but I'm enjoying the experience."
Ginny, ever observant, leaned in slightly and inquired, "And your family, do they have a long history in the magical world?"
Ashton's demeanour tightened momentarily before he answered, "They do, but they've always preferred to keep a low profile. We value our privacy, you know."
That final statement raised my suspicions even further. It seemed that every answer only served to deepen the enigma surrounding Ashton Ravens. My heart raced, and I knew I had to tread carefully.
Leaving the store, we trailed Ashton through the winding streets, careful not to draw attention to ourselves. We watched as he led us to a secluded spot, shielded from curious eyes. Concealed behind a nearby alley, we observed him engaged in a secretive conversation with an unknown figure. My heart raced as I realized the gravity of the situation. Ashton was involved in something far more sinister than I had initially thought.
Whispered plans and coded messages filled the air, confirming my worst fears. A chill ran down my spine, and determination ignited within me. Ginny and I retreated silently, making our way back to the group to share what we had witnessed. The realization that Ashton was deeply entangled in a dangerous web of conspiracy shook me to my core.
Now, armed with this newfound knowledge, it was up to us to unravel the mysteries surrounding Ashton and his hidden agenda. The stakes were higher than ever, and the safety of our world depended on our ability to expose the truth.
With resolute determination, I took a deep breath and joined my friends once more. We had to act swiftly and strategically, for the path ahead was fraught with danger. The secrets we uncovered would lead us down a treacherous road, one that would test our courage, loyalty, and resilience.
Little did we know that our journey had only just begun, and the darkness lurking beneath the surface was far more insidious than we could have ever imagined.
I had bought a pencil and a new sketch book from the art store, it wasn't anything we needed, but I could feel my fingers aching to hold a pencil and to draw again.

-------------------------

Puplished: 30-06-23