The first letter.

1998

Sunday September 14th 

As I'm eating breakfast with Ginny, Hedwig, Harry's owl, flies down and drops an envelope in my hand. I hide it in my rope, but Hedwig stays at the table.

As I'm done eating, I take Hedwig on my shoulder as she was Astra. Ginny and I go to our room as I have moved in with the sixth years as it was too wired for me with Sophie and Crystal without Hermione.

I open the envelope and sure enough it's a letter from Hermione as I had expected. I read it out loud to Ginny.

Dear Harlow.

This isn't an update on any horcruxes unfortunately, I just wanted to check in on you and make sure you are okay, Harry, Ron and I have been camping outside, and the nights are very cold, but we keep together and hopefully I can get you some good news about another horcrux has been destroyed.

With all my love

Hermione.

It makes me so happy that she is safe, so I find a new envelope and a piece of paper, and write:

Dear Hermione.

Everything is well at Hogwarts; Professor McGonagall is going a fantastic job at being head mistress. I've been keeping busy as there is a lot to do. I haven't told anyone what you are doing as I don't find it necessary. I hope you are well and keep together with Harry and Ron, as I'm not there, I can't protect you, but I'm sure they will.

With all my love

Harlow.

I close the envelope and I think for a second: "I could transform to an owl and give her the letter personally." But it's kind of a bad idea as I don't know where they are, and Harry would miss Hedwig. So, I give my letter to Hedwig, and she flies off.

This is the first letter Hermione has sent but I'm sure she has been busy trying to find the horcruxes so I can't blame her.

I sit with Hermione's letter clutched in my hand as Lavender walks in, I quickly hide the letter in my rope. But I'm too slow, Lavender sits down beside me and asks: "Was that a letter from Hermione?"

And automatic I say: "Hermione? Who is that?"

Lavender just looks at me and says: "Harlow, don't lie to me, you know your sister. And I know you are trying to protect her. But even if she had wiped your memory, you would have been reminded of her so much here."

"Fine, Lavender, yes I got a letter from Hermione, but no news unfortunately."

Lavender: "How's Ron doing?"

"I don't know, I'm sorry to tell you but I think he has realised his feelings for Hermione by now."

Lavender: "But they can't be together."

"And why not?"

Lavender: "Because if they get married that would make Ginny and you their sister-in-law, and wouldn't that be wired since you are dating?"

"Nah not really."

Lavender: "I would think it was wired."

"I'll take my chances I guess."

Lavender: "Suit yourself."

"You can't really break them up and you know that kind of adventure can only bring them closer."

Lavender: "How do you know?"

"Experience."

Lavender: "What do you mean."

"Nothing,"

As Lavender leaves I smirk at Ginny and its only us who knows what I meant by "Experience" because our adventure in our fourth year did bring us closer and made us both realize that we would never be just best friends. We were meant to be so much more. 

-------------------------

Puplished: 30-06-23