chapter 4 (laughingstock)

ELLIE's POV

Every day passed, and the same thing is happening between Aris and me. As always, he is shaming me. I became the laughingstock of the whole hospital. Everyone knows Dr. del Fierro ignores me, and even disowns me, and for whatever reason, they don't know.

There was one occasion, a tribute to his Father being the successor founder of the hospital on its 50th foundation anniversary. Almost all in the medical field of Region 11 and 12 were there, especially medical doctors were in attendance

The venue is jam-packed with well-wishers. There is a VIP table in front of the stage... There are five chairs on the table... None is for me. The first two, are for Adil's parents, the other two are for his sister and brother-in-law both medical doctors, and the last seat of course for Aris...and no space is reserved for me... It hurts, but what can I do? In our one year of being together, I  am not considered a member of the Del Fierro family.  It is better not to be there than to be shamed in front of the public. 

I left the venue, I went home. It is enough that I see how it looks, anyway, I don't fit in there, I am not anyone in the medical field, and I am not of their social status.

 In my one year of working as a nurse when Aris and I got married, with my salary and my overtime pay I have rarely two hundred thousand savings... Only cents compared to Del Fierro's wealth. That is already without expense for food, I am free to eat at Adil's house, and free meals when on duty... I rarely buy anything for myself, only my basic needs, and I buy only the usual stuff. My only expense is my fare. I have a contact- if you think a taxi, no...a tricycle. I have three contacts, any of the three available.

These three tricycle drivers always ask me why I don't have my car to think my husband is the owner of the hospital. I smiled at them saying, in this world a lot of things better keep a secret.

I imagine what is happening in the venue, I wish the best of everything for them... The party most probably have dinner, but since I am not invited, I will treat myself to a fast-food chain. I drop by,  I buy 6 pieces of burgers and 6 cups of juice... I have it served outside the fast food... I called the children playing in the parking lot to share with me... they were 5 kids I am sending them to public elementary school. I am giving a 250 weekly allowance, then school supplies. They sell rugs and car wipes on Saturdays and Sundays... I don't know them, I just meet them one time outside this fast food and treat them with spaghetti and juice. Since it's Del Fierro's Hospital Foundation anniversary I treat the 5 kids with a bucket of chicken and a large spaghetti to bring home. They were leaping for joy when I told them to go home and bring that packed food for their family.

I feel happy chatting with them. In them, I saw inspiration, and I realized at at some level, I am much better. Even though Aris is maltreating me, I still have a home, work, and family- my mom and brother.

"Kids, I'll go now... I am tired, I want to sleep,"

"Go home straight," I told them

"Thank you, Miss Nurse,"