5 - Inferno

I've been awake for a few hours now, but I've been hiding in my room. I went straight upstairs when I came home a few minutes before 10 yesterday and I've been postponing going down for breakfast because I don't want to risk another fight just before Mom leaves.

But it's already 11 so I decide to take a shower and catch her just before she leaves for the airport.

'Morning', I greet her, putting on a cheerful voice. I find her and her boyfriend in the kitchen again, finishing up some lunch. I'm glad to see it, since I wasn't keen to join them.

Mom glances at the clock before she greets me in return.

'Just barely.'

Really, it's a talent. It only takes a second for her to get on my nerves. I decide to let the comment slide and walk over to the fridge to grab some yogurt. At least her guy's a little friendlier.

'Morning, Emma', he says. 'You want some salad? We got some left.'

'Uhm, no thank you', I say, taking a seat at the kitchen island while they clear the table.

'So, all ready for your trip?' I ask Mom, trying for some light conversation.

'Yes, I think it's going to be good', she replies, offering me a smile for a change. In my surprise, I actually smile back.

'They're lucky to have you', I tell her. I'm still not sure what she'll be doing exactly, but whatever it is, I'm sure she'll do great. Anything work related she ever does gets nothing but her full attention.

'Thank you, honey.'

It seems that she too has decided to keep things civil this morning. I'm glad. Because I don't like to part on bad terms. It's just what happens.

The both of them go around the house to gather the last of her stuff while I eat my yogurt and then I hear her clear her throat in the doorway.

I get up from my stool to face her and smile while I come in for another awkward embrace.

'Well, have a good flight.'

'Thank you', she says, drawing away from me again. 'We'll... talk more when I get back.'

'Sure.'

No we won't. We never talk unless we're fighting. Not about anything substantial anyway.

'I'll be back in a few hours', Dan says, grabbing the car keys. 'Are you gonna be around?'

'Uhm, no, I think I'll meet up with some friends.'

'Sure, should I count on your for dinner?'

'Oh, no.'

'Just remember the rules, honey', mom says, giving me a stern look. 'I'm serious about them.'

'What rules?' I ask, before I can help myself. Her face tells me she does not appreciate it.

'I'm kidding', I tell her quickly. 'No alcohol, no boys, home before 10, so no fun. Just go, you'll miss your flight.'

She purses her lips for a moment, but decides to let it go. She gives me another short wave, then walks past Dan who's holding the door for her.

'See you later', he says.

'Bye!'

When the door closes, I can finally drop the smile and I sigh in relief. She's gone and I won't have to face her for another two weeks.

Relieved, I walk into the living room and stretch out on the couch. Then I decide to text Liv, one of my party friends.

Guess who's back in town! Are we going out tonight? Please say yes.