6 - Taking you home

I pull back annoyed and twirl back around to see which idiot thought it would be okay to touch me. But then I realize that it's not some stranger with a disregard for boundaries. Though it takes me a second to recognize him, because he's the last person I was expecting to see.

'Dave?' I say, squinting my eyes at him. 'What the hell are you doing here?'

'It's Dan', he says, moving closer so I can hear him over the sound of music. 'And I'm taking you home.'

Taking me home? What is this guy on about? It takes a second to click, but then it hits me.

My mother's rules.

Has he actually come down here to enforce them? I was expecting some sort of reprimand in the morning, but this... I did not see this coming.

But if he thinks I'm actually coming with him, he's in for a surprise. I mean, who the hell does he think he is? I burst out laughing and reach out to pat his cheek.

'You're adorable, Dave', I say, taking on a condescending tone. He blinks annoyed at the way I'm patting his cheek and quickly draws back to get away from me. Which is perfect.

'The night's just getting started', I yell at him. 'Why don't you grab yourself a drink while you're here? Have fun, honey.'

I turn around to get back to my friends, but before I can get away, he grabs my wrist and pulls me back.

'Your mother specifically said no alcohol and to be home at 10', he persists. 'She's been gone for less than 24 hours and you're already breaking her rules? She'll be pissed when she finds out. Come on, let's go home.'

I throw him a furious look when I try to pull away, but he won't let go. What's this guy's problem?

'What does it matter to you?' I ask him angrily. 'You don't need to concern yourself with what goes on between my mother and I. Thank you.'

I yank extra hard and suddenly I'm free. Shit, I yanked a little too hard, because the sudden release makes me stumble straight into some girl dancing behind me.

'Bitch, watch it', she gasps when her drink spills all over her.

'Sorry', I mumble, trying to get steady on my feet again. It's difficult because everything seems to be spinning a little bit. But at least the confusion has distracted Dave, so I decide to get away fast and push my way through the crowd.

'Emma!' I hear him yelling behind me. I ignore him. Where are my friends again? They should be somewhere around here. We weren't that far from the DJ. Ugh, this guy has gotten me all confused.

I stand still to try and find my focus again and get up on my toes to look over the crowd. I don't recognize anybody. Maybe we were standing more to the back after all. But before I can try to look for them, a hand appears on my arm again.

'Emma, I'm serious. I'm taking you home.'

'Dave, I'm serious', I yell at him angrily. 'You need to fuck off. I don't even know you.'

'It's Dan', he tells me again. 'Look, your mom asked me to keep an eye on you, keep you out of any trouble. You were supposed to be home at 10 and it's past midnight already. What am I supposed to tell her if you just don't show up all night, huh? She'll be worried sick.'

'Worried?' I snort. 'Trust me, she'll be fine. I'm not in any trouble, so you're good, okay?'

'Yeah, and who's gonna make sure it stays that way? You're drunk as fuck, walking around this club all by yourself. You got any idea what could happen to you?'