chapter two

Lily wandered around the woods for nearly three hours. When she finally found her way back into the neighborhood, she noticed music coming from a house nearby. She was lightheaded from the cigs and she found herself walking towards the music.

Before she knew it, Lily was inside a strangers’ house – in which there was evidently a house party underway. She found her way through the living room full of people and into the kitchen. There was a fuck ton of alcohol on the kitchen table. Lily located an unopened bottle of vodka, grabbed it, twisted the cap off, and squeezed her eyes shut as she chugged down at least 4 shots worth of the liquor.

Wiping her mouth with the back of her hand, Lily made her way to the back yard and slumped down onto the porch stairs. Closing her eyes, Lily tried her hardest to breathe. Her throat was still burning from the vodka and the music was way too loud. And bad. Would it kill these people to play some goddamn Blondie? Or something that wasn’t generic rap from LA or New York or wherever.

“Hey,” said a voice, interrupting her train of thought.

Lily looked up. A tall boy was standing over her. “Hi there.” Lily said, her words slurring slightly. The boy laughed. Her intoxication was obvious to say the least.

“What are you doing here?” he asked.

“Sitting down.” Lily stated. She didn’t really want to talk to him, but anything was better than swimming in her own thoughts.

The boy laughed again. “Wanna come smoke?”

Lily considered it for a moment before agreeing and following the boy into the house and up the stairs. She covered her ears as they walked through the living room. Jesus Christ this music was shit. The boy opened a door and gestured for Lily to go inside. She did, and he followed her, shutting the door behind him.

There was a voice in the back of her head telling her to stop, to leave, that this was a bad idea. But Lily shut the voice out and sat down on the bed. The boy opened the window and pulled a joint and a lighter out of his pocket. He put the joint in his mouth and lit it, taking a hit before handing it over to Lily. Lily took a deep breath of the weed and held it in for a moment before breathing out the cloud of smoke, which drifted slowly out the window.

As the two passed the joint back and forth, the boy introduced himself as Ben and asked Lily for her name. Lily’s mind was half in and half out of the conversation as Ben told her about how he’d seen her at parties before but had never really known who she was. At this, Lily laughed dryly.

“No one knows who I am.” she said absentmindedly.

At this, Ben came and sat down on the bed next to her. “Well…I’d like to know who you are.” he said.

Lily turned to look at him – not knowing if he was joking or being serious – and before she could tell what was happening, he was kissing her. Lily didn’t react immediately, her mind and body was slowed due to the substances in her system. When she realized what was happening, she tried to pull away from him and his aggressive, sloppy lips. But he grabbed her head and pulled her closer to him. He pushed her back against the bed and climbed on top of her. Lily tried to yell, to squirm, tried to make any noise at all, but she couldn’t.

His hands were so strong, too strong. His lips traveled from her mouth to her neck where he bit and kissed her. I don’t like this, I don’t like this, I want him to stop, Lily’s mind raced. She groaned, trying to say no, but it came out wrong. His hands moved faster, yanking her shirt up and fumbling with her jeans. Lily tried to shove him off but he was too heavy and too big. This was too much for her brain to handle. She was getting really scared and overwhelmed. Her eyes prickled with tears.

Ben was undoing his own belt now. He leaned in close to Lily’s ear and whispered, “You have no idea how long I’ve wanted to do this.” His breath was hot. It smelled like cheap beer and weed.

Lily whined. “St-Stop it!” she said. He didn’t stop. “Stop!!” Lily yelled.

Ben glared at her. He pulled away for a moment before wrapping his hand around her throat. Lily’s eyes widened in terror. Ben gripped the waistband of her pants and yanked them down. He reached his hand into his own pants. Tears started falling from Lily’s eyes. No, no, no, please no. Ben’s face spread into an evil smile. There was no escape. There was nothing Lily could do to stop this from happening.
And then there was a knock on the door. There was a voice calling for Ben. He squeezed Lily’s neck and stared into her eyes. “Don’t fucking move.” he whispered before getting up.

As soon as he was off of her, Lily fixed her pants, jumped up, and ran out of the house. She ran and ran. She ran all the way home, tears pouring down her face as she ran. She finally reached her house and she scrambled inside, fumbling with her key in the lock. When she was finally inside with the door locked, she pressed her back flat against the door and tried to catch her breath. It was only then that she realized she had left her backpack at Mrs. Cobain’s house. She laughed softly to herself.

After who knows how long of taking deep breaths and calming herself, Lily started walking towards her room. She walked through the living room and towards the hallway leading to her room. She was almost in the hall when a light flicked on. Lily’s heart stopped.

“What are you doing? It’s fucking late.” her father grunted from the couch.

Lily was frozen. She shook like a leaf as she opened her mouth and tried to speak. “I was…I was on a walk.”
Her dad stood up and walked closer to her. “It’s almost 10 o’clock, Lily.” He came closer. “That’s a bit late for a walk, don’t you think?” He was almost directly behind her now. He took a deep breath, as if he was considering what to say next. “You smell like weed and vodka. Don’t lie to me Lily. Where were you?”

His voice was calm but it was laced with venom. Lily squeezed her eyes closed. Please don’t. Please don’t. She felt his hand curl around her waist. She took a deep, shaky breath.

“I told you, I was on a walk.” Lily said, fighting to keep her voice steady.

He let go of her waist and shoved past her. “Fine. If that’s what you say.”

As soon as Lily heard her dad’s door shut down the hall she rushed into her room. Letting out a breath she didn’t know she was holding, Lily stripped her clothes off and climbed in between her sheets. Before long, she drifted off into a restless sleep.