chapter thirteen

"Kurt!" Dave called from the other side of the bar, waving the two of them over to the table he was sitting at. Kurt waved back and pulled Lily through the bar to the table.

"So you must be the girl that Kurt will not shut up about!" said Dave with a big goofy grin.

Kurt shoved him. "Dude shut up," he hissed, his face turning red. Dave just giggled and turned his attention back to Lily.

"I'm Dave Grohl, drummer of NIRVANA, and Kurt's bestest friend," he said formally, extending his hand for Lily to shake.

Lily shook his hand and laughed. "I'm Lily," she said. "It's nice to meet you, Dave. I'm a big fan of your work."

"It's lovely to meet someone with taste," he replied. He looked over at Kurt and raised his eyebrows.

Kurt rolled his eyes and changed the subject, but he glanced at Lily and smiled warmly. She looked down at her hands and blushed.

The three of them sat in the bar for a long time smoking cigarettes, drinking, talking and laughing. Lily and Dave clicked instantly and they spent a lot of the conversation making jokes at Kurt's expense. The time passed quickly and soon the three of them were leaving the bar, getting into their cars, and driving to Krist and Shelli's house. Shelli answered the door at the first knock and after hugging Kurt and Dave, she turned her attention to Lily.

"You must be Lily!" she exclaimed, wrapping the small girl in a nearly suffocating hug. "I have been dying to meet you!"

Krist was nice, though Lily found it hard to not be intimidated by his height. Dinner was delicious and everyone had a great time. When it was time to go, Lily hugged Shelli goodbye and went to get in the car. Kurt said Krist wanted to talk to him about something, so she waited patiently, going over the day's events in her mind.

Krist pulled Kurt into the den. "Ok, I know you said she's younger than us, but Jesus Christ Kurt! She looks like a high schooler!" Krist whisper-yelled.

Kurt sighed. "That might be because she is?" he muttered. Krist's eyes widened in shock.

"WhAt?!" he nearly screamed. "Kurt, how old is she?!"

"She's 18! I'm not a fucking pedophile!" Kurt responded defensively. "I know it doesn't look good, but I'm really happy with her. Please, Krist, I don't need your judgment."

Krist rubbed his hands over his face. "Jesus, Cobain." he laughed a little, shaking his head. "I'm not judging you. You're my best friend. Of course I want you to be happy, but I don't want you to do anything stupid – or illegal."

"Thanks, man." Kurt hugged Krist.

Krist hugged him back and sighed. "Just be careful with her. She seems like a really nice kid; don't hurt her."

"Wasn't planning on it..." Kurt muttered. He hugged Dave and Shelli goodbye before getting in the driver's seat of the car and turning the key in the ignition.

Lily didn't ask what Krist wanted to talk about. She knew that if Kurt wanted to tell her, he would. But he didn't say anything. In fact, the drive back to the apartment was silent. When they got back to the apartment, Kurt pulled Lily into a hug, holding her close and resting his chin on the top of her head. Krist's words were running circles in his head. She's so young...Don't hurt her...

Lily was the first to pull away. She draped her arms around Kurt's neck, playing with his faded pink hair in her hands. She gazed into his face, smiling.
"I had a great time today," she whispered. "Thank you."

A look of confusion crept over Kurt's face. "What for?"

"For introducing me to your friends. For getting me out of Aberdeen." she rested her head against his chest. "For coming back to me."