chapter fourteen

Courtney smiled back at Kurt. "It's great to see you," she said. "And I'm doing well, thanks." There was an awkward silence; then she took a few steps closer to him, leaned in and whispered "I've been thinking about you a lot..."

Kurt stiffened. He looked Courtney in the eyes, his expression cold and serious. "Courtney, no." He said. "We can't do this. I'm not doing this."

God, this was just like Courtney. She always had to start shit. For the first time in a while, Kurt was actually doing well. He had hope. And since ending things with Courtney, he was closer than ever to finally quitting his awful, secret habit. The one he'd been dreading telling Lily about. But he was not about to let Courtney ruin all the progress he'd made, or risk losing the best thing in his life. Unfortunately, she didn't get the message.

Courtney rolled her eyes and crossed her arms over her chest. "I've heard that before, Kurt," she said, sounding exasperated for some fucking reason. She took another step closer to him and placed a teasing hand on his shoulder. "Come on... What's stopping you?"

Kurt's hands balled into fists. Right at that moment, Lily came into the room, her cheeks flushed pink and her eyes shining with joy. She ran to Kurt's side and threw her arms around his neck, kissing him on the cheek. Just being in her presence instantly calmed him, and Kurt felt his shoulders relax as he slid his arms around Lily's waist.

"Hi Kurt! Who's your friend?" Lily said, her words slurring. She'd obviously had a few more drinks since the last time he saw her. Turning her head, Lily gasped when she saw Courtney. "Oh my god! Courtney Love?! ohmygod I LOVE your band, I'm such a big fan!" She gushed, clearly oblivious to Courtney's anger and the furious look on her face.

Courtney's eyes narrowed as she slowly looked Lily up and down. She was quite a bit taller than Lily, and looked down on her in more than one way while she took in the girl's fragile, petite figure. Although Lily was oblivious, Kurt could see the cruel look in Courtney's eyes. He made eye contact and tried to communicate to her that Lily was a sweet girl, and please please be kind... but it didn't work.

"Is this why you left me, Kurt?" Courtney sneered. "For some fucking...cheerleader?? God, you're more depressed than I thought if you'd stoop that low."

Lily's face fell instantly. Her lip started to quiver as she shrunk back farther into Kurt's arms, turning her face away in an attempt to hide the tears that were forming in her eyes. Kurt, meanwhile, stared furiously at Courtney. He knew she was mean, but that was cruel even for her. He held Lily tightly as he glared at Courtney's smirking face. Pleased with her work, Courtney strutted out of the room, knocking her shoulder against Lily's as she left.

Kurt turned his attention to Lily, who had started to shake from holding in her tears. Her face — which had been happy just moments before — was crumpled with sadness. Without saying a word, Kurt kissed her forehead, grabbed her hand, and led her out of the house to the backyard. The air outside was cold, and Kurt pulled her into his chest, wrapping his arms tightly around her to keep her warm. He whispered calming words in her ear and told her to take deep breaths, advice which he followed as well.
After a few minutes, Kurt pulled away slightly and tilted Lily's chin up so he could see her face. Her nose and cheeks were red with cold, and a few tears had fallen from her eyes, making her mascara run. Even now, she was the most beautiful woman he'd ever seen.

Tucking a bit of hair behind her ear, Kurt spoke softly to her. "You know she's wrong, right?"

Lily nodded. "Y-Yeah," she replied, sniffling. "It still hurts though..."

Kurt hugged her again, resting his chin on the top of her head. "I know, baby," he whispered in the dark. "But I promise you, nothing she said is true. You're twice the woman Courtney will ever be. You're so kind and funny and smart and so, so beautiful. And you have so many brilliant, amazing, wonderful, and terrifying thoughts in that head of yours. You're perfect; I promise."

Lily buried her face in Kurt's chest as a smile spread across her face. She couldn't believe she was here, with him, right now, and he was saying these things to her. The man she had always adored thought she was beautiful, and the things about her that so many others ran from, he embraced. In spite of everything Courtney said, Lily was so blissfully happy. "Thank you," she whispered into his warm, comforting chest.

Kurt smiled. "Of course, baby," he said, gently running his fingers over her exposed back. They stood like that for a few moments before Kurt broke the silence. "Do you wanna go back inside?"

Lily nodded. Winding their fingers together, the couple made their way back into the house, still alive with music and people and joy.