chapter five

August 7, 1984

The next day, Tessa, Kurt, and Lily woke up hot. Inside was hot. Outside was hot. Everything and everyone was hot. It didn't take long for the three to decide that today was a day for swimming. So Tessa and Lily hurried back to their house to get swimsuits and promised Kurt to meet him at the lake.

Tessa and Kurt brought their weed and cigarettes and Lily brought a copy of The Hobbit. (What? Everyone has hobbies.)

The cool water felt amazing in contrast to the hot day. Kurt and Tessa sat on the dock with their feet in the water as they passed a joint back and forth, but Lily jumped right in. She swam in circles and floated on her back. She watched the sky and the clouds move. She listened to her sister and Kurt laughing about something she didn't understand. She felt the sand and smooth rocks beneath her feet.

The three of them stayed at the lake for hours. At one point, as Kurt was rolling another joint and Tessa was smoking a cigarette, Tessa called Lily over to the dock. "Hey, Lily! Come over here. You should try some of this."

Kurt looked up at her, shocked. "Tess, no." he said. "She's 10."

Tessa rolled her eyes. "I was 8 when I had my first cigarette. Plus this kid worries more than anyone I know. She's gotta learn to relax. It's not like weed can really do anything anyways."

Kurt shook his head and shrugged. "I guess you're right."

Lily climbed up on the dock and sat between Kurt and Tessa. Tessa held the joint to Lily's lips and told her how to breathe in, hold the smoke in her mouth, inhale, and then breathe out. Lily followed Tessa's instructions...and then immediately started coughing. She recovered after a minute and all three of them burst out laughing.

"Not bad for your first time!" said Tessa, patting her little sister on the back.

"I don't think it's work-" Lily started her sentence but stopped short. Her eyes widened. She felt tingles all over her skin. "Woah," she whispered.

Kurt and Tessa looked at each other and then started laughing even harder than before. "Woah is right," said Kurt as he took another hit. "This shit is good."

Lily laughed, but it quickly turned to a cough. Tessa lit a cigarette and handed it to her. "This will help." she said. "Remember, breathe in, hold it, inhale, breathe out."

The cigarette soothed Lily's lungs and made the effects of the weed even more noticeable. She wasn't entirely sure that she liked it, but she was enjoying herself. And she wasn't worried about anything. She smiled. This was nice.

Time moved strangely with weed, and before they knew it, hours had passed and the sun was starting to set. The three headed back to Kurt's house where they ate dinner, took turns showering, and ended up back in Kurt's room.

Tessa sprawled out on the rug. Lily put a pillow under her head, took her shoes off, and gently placed a blanket over her. Then she crawled up onto the bed next to Kurt, who was laying down and smoking a cigarette with his eyes closed. Feeling the bed move next to him, Kurt opened his eyes and looked over at Lily.

"Hey, what's that book you brought to the lake today?" he asked. His voice was deeper and raspier than normal.

"The Hobbit." replied Lily softly.

"Can you read it to me?" asked Kurt.

Lily smiled. "Of course, Kurt."