~ 4 ~

"Ooh, it's Wonie's girlfriend ~." Jungwon's friend, Sunoo, joked as they sat down.

"No?? It's just Mei. And she's just my friend." Jungwon sat down, Mei following suit.

"Oh, that Mei. The one from your class that you never shut up about?" Niki had said, a teasing tone evident.

Mei looked at Jungwon, confused, but seeing his embarrassed expression, she grew more anxious.

"What? No, a uh different Mei." Jungwon looked away nervously.

"There's more than one Mei Huang here? I didn't know that," Sunoo said, unsure.

"You do know that we know who she is, right?" Niki asked.

"Yeah, but that's so embarrassing. Why'd you say it like that?" Jungwon said sheepishly.

"Well, I'm going to go get food." Jungwon stood up and left, his face still pink from the interaction.

"Yeah, he talks about you a lot. Like a lot," Niki said.

Mei looked around anxiously, unsure of what to say.

"I think you're making her uncomfortable."

"Oh," Niki said, sniffling a laugh as he continued eating.

After a few minutes, Jungwon returned with a tray full of food.

Mei looked around but kept her eyes away from the group of boys she was with.

Too loud.

Too popular.

Too nice.

Too open.

Too much.

She needed to leave. She felt that all eyes were on her.

Her eyes darted around the room; her hands began to get sweaty, and she found it hard to breathe.

All eyes were on her table.

She blinked as tears began to form. She felt her lips quiver.

She couldn't find the right words to say. It felt like her throat had closed up. She couldn't speak if she wanted to.

Without warning the people with her, she left the table in silence.