~ 10 ~

"I'm sorry, Mei, I didn't think it through. I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable. I can walk you home if you'd like?" Jungwon said moments later, as his friends were distracted by the same story they were told during lunch.

"I don't know, Jungwon. I know he's just messing around, and I'm overreacting. I'm pathetic," Meo said, sounding more like she was talking to herself rather than to the boy beside her.

"You're not pathetic. How could this make you pathetic? He keeps commenting on it, and it makes you uncomfortable. You have every right to be, I swear," Jungwon said softly.

"I think I'm just going to head home. I'll see you tomorrow in class. I'm sorry," Mei said. It felt too much on her.

"Don't apologize. And you're sure you don't want me to walk you?" Jungwon asked.

"You stay with your friends," Mei said as she grabbed her bag.

"They'll be fine."

"Jungwon. I'll be fine, too. I promise."

"Alright," Jungwon said dejectedly, "make sure you eat."

Mei stayed silent and began walking toward her house.

Once he knew she was out of earshot, Jungwon walked over to Niki.

"You need to stop with your comments. I don't care if they're a joke. They make her uncomfortable." Jungwon had the attention of the whole group as he spoke.

"She knows I'm joking around, and Sunoo does it too. Just because you've liked her for a year and a half doesn't  mean we must stop being ourselves over it."

"That's not even related to what I said."