16.

language
drama/stress

The race was taking good turns for the Ferraris. Charles was in lead, 4 seconds ahead of Carlos since he's been trying to keep Fernando away from his teammate but the other driver fell back after going for a pit stop.

The Spanish driver was now one round into trying to get closer to Charles, actually doing a good job. "Did you see that?" Alex gasped, pointing towards the monitor that was showing Fernando Alonso and Daniel Ricciardo.

A replay was shown of Daniel pulling to the outside of the track, tricking Fernando to go to the side as well to hold his position but Daniel pulled back into his original place on the track in the next corner. He overtook Fernando on the inside perfectly and I heard the crowd screaming.

I was wondering how that moment felt for Daniel. I knew he always wanted to race in Vegas and after last year's disappointment even I was enjoying to see him driving on the front.

It was 3 laps to go and Charles now needed to start defending against Carlos. His teammate was having a very powerful pace and was doing well in catching up. Watching the both red cars fight felt weird, normally the team let the both drivers work together but seeing them fighting over a position looked so powerful and brutal at the same time.

I didn't know how to feel or who to root for. I was just staring at the screen, feeling my nerves growing crazy with every lap they did. I was surprised I was still sitting on my chair as they went for the last lap and a hand grabbed mine, Alessandra smiling softly. "Biting nails is ruining your beauty," she nudged me softly as she closed my hand between both of hers, holding it close.

"You know how Charles is, he'll win this and even if not, Carlos deserves this win as much as Charles does," she started discussing. "I'm just surprised that Max is having such a hard time to the end of the season. He's lucky that he had a winning streak of 12 races at the beginning," I saw Alex lean forward to join the conversation. "He's still driving points which makes him hold his position. We're hoping for P2 but we should be good right now."

And as said, Charles passed the finish line first, Carlos close behind him and Daniel still holding his ground. I was proud and happy for all of them. Seeing the team jump up in joy made me feel comfortable. I almost started to get used to it and feeling the others hug me was giving me a warm feeling.

"Grazie! Grazie! Hai fatto un ottimo lavoro oggi!" [Thank you! Thank you! You did a great job today!] Frederic Vasseur walked into the garage, big smile across his lips. His team started pulling him into the big group hug and Alex waved us over to join.
I couldn't say no even though I saw cameras pointed at us as we did so.

"To the podium," I barely heared the principal speak through all the happy screams but I didn't take it too bad. As I saw the hug slowly disappearing and everyone walking over towards the podium it was clear what was going on.

The drivers parked their cars and I saw Charles tapping the top of the red Ferrari before pointing up in the air. A cheeky smile made its way on my lips as I saw his action, knowing how much it meant to him. The driver walked over, helmet still on as he started celebrating with his team. I watched from a few meters behind as he let go of the hug he was being pulled into a few seconds ago.

He opened his visor, revealing his in a smile curled eyes. He turned his head as he breathed heavily, looking past a few red dressed people and that's when it happened. I never understood what people meant when they said it felt like the word stopped turning. I felt my bottom lip drop as the beautiful green eyes of the driver met mine. His smile seemed to fade in his eyes and for a moment he seemed almost mesmerized.

I realised how stupid I must be looking so I pulled out a pretty smile moving my lips to mouth him a 'good job.' Charles hands went to pull his helmet and balaclava from his head. As I met his face again I watched him sharing my smile. It was a loved and proud smile and I couldn't wait to talk and celebrate with him later.