The Encounter

"So, I'm sure you'll want to see the Joke shop."

"No, surely the ice cream parlor-"

"We have to take her to the broom shop first!" Everyone butted in quickly. I felt my head spinning with all of the noise but still smiled at everyone's enthusiasm.

"What do you want to do?" Harry asked me, waiting for my reply. I internally thanked him and looked around at all of the shops as we passed them.

"Maybe the candy store?" I questioned, seeing the sign shine brightly in my eyes. Everyone chattered in approval before we entered the shop. Instantly, I regretted it. The place was jam-packed with people trying to get as much candy before the school year as they could, especially the younger children.

Everyone in the group dispersed and found their candies to observe and buy. Except Harry. He stayed at my side as we both watched the chaos unfold.

"Do you want to wait outside until it clears out some more?" Harry asked suddenly, I sighed contently and quickly sent the boy a quick nod, allowing him to pull me along and onto the nearest bench outside.

"So, where did you move from? Your accent is pretty funny." Harry asked, watching the people as they passed by us. I couldn't help but laugh at him, Harry didn't mean to offend me, but I guess my accent would sound different to everyone else.

"I'm not sure. I was in an accident a month ago and lost my memory. But I'm assuming America." Harry looked at me before frowning.

"Sorry.." I simply shrugged, making peace with the fact that my life may never be normal again.

"I'm not entirely sure where I come from either. I never really knew my parents." Harry said softly. He and I both looked at each other and smiled before I teasingly shoved his shoulder with mine. I felt a shift between the boy and me. We both realized at the same time that we weren't alone in the world. That just this once we can look at another person and simply say "same."

"Hey." A voice said, interrupting Harry and I's conversation. When I looked up, I saw a young boy, probably my age staring down at us. Harry instantly sat straight when he saw the boy, almost nervous to see him.

"Hi. Uh, Marley, this is Cedric Diggory." Harry replied, watching as the boy and I shook hands.

"Sorry to interrupt, I just wanted to know what kind of polish you use for your broom. The one I get usually doesn't last very long." Cedric replied, trying to focus on Harry but occasionally meeting my eyes.

Cedric was gorgeous, to be frank. His eyes were grey like a rainy day. But the rainy day where you stay inside with a nice book and read before taking a comfortable nap. His hair was soft and brown like Harry's yet I could tell he kept it slightly gelled to stay in place.

He reminded me of a past life.

"I can show you. Marley and I are waiting for everyone to be done in the candy shop anyways." Harry offered, looking at me to make sure I was okay with it. When I agreed, Harry stood up, helping me before we went across the street to the broom shop.

"Oh, hey, Harry!" A girl said happily, pulling him aside. Harry's face grew red as he stuttered out an awkward hi.

"Marley and I are gonna start looking..." Cedric said, offering the boy a wink before taking my hand gently and pulling me through the aisles.

"Cho Chang, third year and someone who I know has the biggest crush on Harry," Cedric whispered into my ear, elaborating on the situation.

"I figured," I said, laughing slightly. I watched Cedric walk ahead of me slightly, looking at the objects on the shelves.

"So," He began, not turning to me, "Are you new this year? I haven't seen you around."

"Yeah, I'll be in my fifth year this year. I'm pretty nervous." I replied truthfully. Cedric chuckled at that and I felt goosebumps crawl up my arms.

"Don't be. You'll get used to everything there. Plus, you'll have me to help you." Cedric shrugged, peeking over at me, revealing a small smile on his lips.

"Is that so?" I asked, looking at him with a raised brow. Cedric finally turned to me and I saw the dimples appearing in his cheeks as he flashed me a movie star smile.

"Yeah, maybe I can show you the hidden hallways and stuff." Cedric stepped closer, causing my cheeks to burn slightly. I tried to open my mouth to speak but someone stopped me.

"No need. She has us for that." A voice said behind me. Cedric took a step back and straightened his posture. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion and I turned to see Fred standing directly behind me, nearly leaving no room for movement. His face was slack as he looked at the boy in front of me.

The air between all of us was thick. I could tell from their little standoff that these two didn't quite like each other. But, neither said a negative word to one another.

"Sure," Cedric said, plastering a fake smile before looking back down at me.

"If you ever get bored of...well, you know." Cedric sent a look toward Fred one last time.

"You'll know where to find me. See you at school." I smiled and waved, watching the two boys death-stare each other before Cedric was out of sight. When he was, Fred looked down at me. The way his eyes went dark made my stomach twist.

"You should stay away from him. He's bad news." Fred replied, walking away before I could get another word in.

I don't understand why, but everything about this interaction felt familiar. Like the scene of a movie that's played before and on a cycle that I couldn't escape. I frowned, thinking that maybe it had happened before, and somehow I'd managed to make it happen again.

I decided I had enough of Diagon Alley and walked outside, seeing Harry still talking to Cho. When he saw me, he bid the girl goodbye before walking over.

"Where's Cedric?" Harry asked, peeking inside as if it look for him.

"He left. It was really strange, Fred came in and-"

"Wait, Fred and Cedric talked?" Harry asked, surprised.

"Yeah? I mean, I'm not sure I'd call it that..." I replied truthfully, walking down the street again with Harry.

"That's usually how it goes. Fred and Cedric don't get along." Harry informed. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion and turned back around, half expecting to see them fighting in the middle of the street.

"Why not? They seem like the type to be friends if anything." Harry snorted, obviously amused by my comment.

"Fred and Cedric have hated each other since the first year. No one but them knows why though."

Harry said, looking down like he was trying to figure it out. I simply hummed in response, intrigued why the two boys had such a strong dislike for each other..and convinced I had to know the reason why.

"Girl, this chapter was so boring!"

Yeah, I know trust me lol. But I wanted to have a cute moment with our new bestie Harry. It's platonic by the way. I know it might not seem like it but they have a really big connection and she thinks of her loved one when she sees him.

Also I know it's probably weird but I want to collab this story at some point with another writer or at least play ideas off of someone because I'm struggling. Also for smut parts I'm def the worst when it comes to that (which you all know if you've read my stories before) so I might have someone write it for me or not at all. So if anyone wants to volunteer, my dms are open lol.