Prologue

Dr. Jagadita Andaru, Sp.B (K) Onk

I was sure that 70% of people who read the name on the doorstep of my office—who had never researched before and might not know at all—would think that the one sitting behind the desk in a white coat waiting for a patient to arrive was a female doctor.

I couldn't count the number of people who were somehow disappointed and shocked when they found out that I was a man when they met me.

Today was no exception. When a woman came into my examination room. Her face was incredibly shocked. Her lips were pressed several times until they became thin.

"dr. Dita?"

"Jagadita." I corrected the name that came out of her mouth.

I thought she was probably the same age as me. Her body was quite tall for the size of a woman. Her shoulder-length hair was adorned with a hint of brown. Her face contour was firm for a woman, and I could see her well-sculpted jawline under her cheek. Her long eyelashes blinked several times, as if she were reassuring herself that the doctor in front of her was really a man.

She wore a long dress that almost touched her ankles, which waved gently when her feet advanced slowly to the chair in front of me.

"Dokter, laki-laki?"

I sighed.

"Mohon maaf sebelumnya, tapi kadang-kadang orang sering salah mengira kalau saya perempuan dari nama saya."

She hastily covered her face with both hands. Holding back the sound that suddenly came out of her mouth that sounded more like a goat in the Thor movie. I was kind of surprised.

"Kamu nggak apa-apa?" I was already shocked to see her reaction and confused about what to do.

"Sorry, doctor, it seems that I was the one who was not thorough." She tucked her hair behind her ear several times. There was embarrassment and regret etched on her face.

I blinked briefly when suddenly a string of English slipped from her lips, which were daubed in bright red. Her hands were busy fidgeting in front of her navy blue dress.

"So, do you want to be examined?" I asked carefully. I was afraid my question might slightly offend her. "I can be professional."

She froze, then quickly shook her head and said her apology before actually leaving the examination room.

I leaned back on the chair and massaged my forehead for a while. Just those five minutes felt like a year to me.

Initially, this examination room already smelled good. It was a mixture of sandalwood and musk. But it felt like there was another smell in this room. It was like shotgunning cigar smoke into a kiss by someone who just ate crème brûlée.

Scrumptious.

I opened the patient data sheet in my hand and read the name written there.

"Giandra Argani."