9.

"KEBAYANG KAN LU?"

"Apa sih, Mbak?"

"Don't you panic if you're suddenly invited to his apartment?"

Satya shrugged his shoulders before shoving instant noodles into his mouth. Today we are working overtime after getting the materials we need for creative suggestions for the Andaru Foundation from Dr. Jagad yesterday.

"Mbak, I don't give a damn if he has feelings for you or not. The important thing is that he's not a jerk like Padma."

When Satya mentioned my ex-boyfriend, I instinctively pursed my lips. Padma. The wealthy man's son, who acted 'semau gue' due to his privilege, which I believe is simply a result of his younger age, however, this theory was proven wrong when I met Satya, who was the same age as him. And now,

I sighed.

I know Dr. Jagad, who I think can make me feel small. Not because I'm not rich, but rather because I am able to sense the difference in our levels of tenacity. Clearly, the mission and vision are different. Who would choose to spend their youth in medical school in order to be a specialist doctor at such a young age?

"Aside from your foolish thoughts, I'm pleased with him because he's nice and modest. His circle of friends is good as well. Gue nggak pernah kepikiran kalau Mas Jendra, Mbak Haira, Mas Wira, atau Mbak Agni itu anak konglomerat yang hartanya nggak bakal habis dimakan orang sekampung."

"Can you not compare the two of them?" I frown.

"Gue juga nggak mau, Mbak. However, their contrasts compel me to bring up the subject. Sorry."

I hate to admit that everything he said is true.

"Now I'm asking you. Do you like him? Or do you hope he has feelings for you?"

"Never crossed my mind." I answered, slouching on my back. "I don't even think about liking someone for now. It irritates me so much to consider being in a relationship and having someone else control my life." I added.

"Don't mention it." Satya pointed his finger at me. "When I think back to how Padma forbade you from making clothing lines, studying overseas, and working in an agency because he believed you had no future in it, I get incredibly irritated. I truly despise Padma, Mbak. Although I am aware of his wealth, he shouldn't stop you from growing."

He is focusing on me. Concerned. This is the first time Satya has shown me sympathy in the three years I've known him.

"I didn't ask you to date Dr. Jagad or give your heart to him in any way. I just want you to enjoy the moment. He didn't ask for anything, though. He came to the blind date yesterday just to please his father."

I know Satya meant it for the best. His mood was already screwed up after Padma's name slipped from his mouth. And I couldn't blame him because Dr. Jagad forces him to remember everything pertaining to conglomerate things. Including Padma. I remember he made a big scene when Padma yelled at me and got overly jealous of our partner during our project last year. So I just let him speak. Not trying to calm him down.

"Don't work too much. I know you are very dedicated. But try going for a walk."

I nodded.

"Just go home on time."

"Macet."

He groaned before disgustedly glancing my way. "Fuck you."

I burst out laughing. "You know, hanging out with him really makes you not realize that you're hanging out with super rich people."

Satya snaps his fingers. "Kan?"

I sneered. "You don't need to be self-critical. And you're a wealthy man, too!"

He gave me an eye roll, which got a giggle from me.

"What kind of ordinary person makes an agency solely to complete his final college project? Even lease a space in the Senopati neighborhood?"

"You are the vice CEO!"

"But you're the CEO."

He sneered at me. Can't reply to my true words. I still remember when Satya called me four years ago when he created this agency. Hardwork Agency. A digital agency created by him as his final college assignment. Satya asked me to assist him in growing this business until we have as many staff members as we do now.

"Mbak."

"Hmm?"

"But I wouldn't be lying if I said you were cool. It was you who helped me pave the way for us to get clients. Every time you meet someone for the first time, it seems like you have known them for an extended period of time, which always amazes me."

He kept a careful eye on me.

"I truly do mean it, Mbak, when I say I wish you happiness. Either single or dating someone. Either you live with your two annoying cats or you get married. You have the choice. Your happiness is what matters most."

"Yeah, I know, but you also have to be happy, Sat. Get a decent girlfriend."

He gave a "yes" nod and then waved his hand in the air. Instructed me to go home, and I agreed to return home sooner in my response.

"Lu pulang naik apa, Mbak?"

"I'm taking the train." I answered casually before waving my hand and bid my goodbye to him. "You need to go home soon too."

"Iyaaaa!"

I took a sip of my canned coffee and recalled everything I did today with Satya. I can't remember how many times I've laughed tonight. But I don't mind if I have to laugh because I swear to live my life to the fullest after breaking up with Padma.

I had no idea where or when I would decide to adopt that mindset. But I had noticed a gradual warm-up and calmness in my life. Even so, a lot of things still happened that were beyond my control and that I couldn't manage.

But I was content.

*****

I froze as soon as I opened my office door. It was already nine o'clock in the evening. The yard's lights were already on. And there was a figure I recognized standing there. Next to a black Maybach car.

"Dr. Jagad?"

He was a little taken aback when he saw me leave the office without making a sound.

"Hey, Gi."

"Don't 'hey' me. What brought you here? Why don't you come in? How can you tell whether I'm still at work? How long have you spent outside? Or the security guard didn't tell you to come in?"

He blinked his eyes in response to my bombardment of questions.

"I am the one who decided to wait for you here." He quietly retorted. "I also know from the security guard that you are still in the office. He also said that you would take the train home, so I waited on purpose."

"Do you need to speak with me?"

He nodded. "Ayah asked you to come over to the house to talk about the campaign and have dinner together next week."

I looked at him with disbelief. "You can tell me via message, right?"

"Yeah.."

"But?" I tilted my head to the side as I looked into his overly stoic face for the response I sought.

He delicately squeezed his fingers after rubbing his nape.

"I want to let you know that my car no longer resembles your ex-boyfriend's car."