13

The hero felt a gentle, warm touch on his face, causing him to open his eyes. His peripheral vision was completely obscured by the blonde hair dropping down on either side of his face. He finally looked toward the center, the source of the long hair, wide eyes staring him down like she'd never see him again.

"Link! You're awake!!" She shouted in glee, despite the obvious worry plastered in her face. Noticing the redness in her face caused the heat to rise in his own cheeks. He finally managed to sit up in the bed once she moved out of his way. It appeared they were back in the unoccupied room above the lab.

That's right, they were fighting, and losing against that Lynel that took the form of a heartless. How in the world did they survive? He looked toward the princess, who was kneeled down next to him.

"Ah, yes, you're probably wondering how we made it out..." She smirked, to which Link responded with a raised brow.  "Believe it or not..." She began to hold her left hand out.

Link found himself staring in awe as his eyes reunited with that golden glow. This weapon she held out was the very same one he used to finish off the remains of Calamity Ganon not all that long ago. She's managed to summon it once again. Once he gained some composure, he began to scan her for any injuries, as he'd passed out before he could confirm how the battle ended.

"Worry not, I came out unscathed thanks to Sora. He managed to hold back the monster while I made my shot!" She explained with a glint of excitement in her eyes.

He sighed in relief, glad that her reckless actions didn't get her hurt. He was also curious about the townspeople.

"A few of their homes have taken some unfortunate damage, but physically, everyone made it through the situation safely." She confirmed.

Feeling more relaxed, his mind couldn't help but wander back to Zelda's actions back in town. That was absurdly reckless, regardless of the outcome. He said all he needed too with his eyes as he glared in her direction.

"I understand, it was dangerous, and I didnt think properly in the moment, however..." She clenched a fist and brought it to her chest. "I think with just a little training, I can be more of an asset to you in battle."

She looked back toward her trembling hand, remembering the bloodthirsty eyes of the heartless. She knew that if she wanted to truly become useful in battle, she had to overcome this shaking.

Link noticed this as well, and placed his hand over hers. She stared back into his comforting blue eyes.

He assured her that it wasn't necessary for her to get involved in the fight. 

"What?" She raised an eyebrow as she placed her bow down beside her, allowing it to dissapear. Link was taken aback, as this was clearly not what she wanted to hear. "If there was ever a necessary time for me to learn how to fight, it'd be now, shouldn't it?" She attempted to reason. Link sat back. She wasn't necessarily wrong of course, any help in battle would be nice. But as a seasoned warrior who trained all his life to fight against monsters, even he's having trouble against the heartless. Fighting alongside Sora is one thing, but he felt it could be dangerous to get the princess involved.

"Link please. I know what you must think of me, being assigned my guard, you've always seen me at my weakest." She stood to her feet, determined to make her case. "But things are different, I'm different, surely you must see that." She squeezed his hand between hers. "This is a dire situation, even you must see that. It's time for me to learn more about my abilities."

Link broke eye contact. She made a compelling argument, making it hard to fight her on it, and yet, the idea still made him incredibly uneasy. She noticed this, and continued to push as she placed a gentle hand on his cheek.