26

-Day 1-

Everyone in the room watched in amusement as Zelda paced back and forth between each end of the lab, practically biting her fingernails off.

"We should call again right? Let's try again!" She reached an eager hand toward the shiekah slate.

"Wooah, hold your horses there princess!" Purah countered her effort and spun her around. "We talked about this! The boys are fine! Link is fine! They can handle themselves, a few missed calls aren't the end of the world! Lets try and trust them ok?"

The princess sighed, knowing full well she was right, but until she could see it for herself, she would have a hard time believing it otherwise. It was very rare that her and her knight spent much time apart over the last year, so the few hours since his departure with Sora and Riku have left her impatient to say the least.

"I'd be worried if it were just Link and Sora, but Riku being there to keep those meatheads in line is pretty relieving." Midna scoffed, putting her hands behind her head.

"Even then, all of them separately are quite strong, so together, I imagine it quite hard to best them in terms of combat." Robbie chimed in. Zelda nodded, still anxious, but appreciative of their efforts to calm her.

"I suppose you're right, for now all we can do is wait. I just hope that this simple investigation doesn't turn into something terrible." She sighed.

"Even if it did, I imagine that they would be the best ones to handle it. I do wish we could help them though." Xion sunk in her seat.

Zelda was unsure of how to respond to this. She had no doubt in her mind that they were capable of protecting themselves, and yet worry seemed to overtake her heart nonetheless.

The others seemed to notice that she was still quite restless, but until further notice, they didn't have much they could do.

Xion heard her heavy sigh, and decided that she could use some air as well. She stood up, and approached the princess with a gentle hand to place on her shoulder. "Hey, why don't we take a walk?" She offered.

Zelda was conflicted for a moment, but then realized that some movement was better than sitting there and fretting about their situation.

"Bring me back some of those peppers from that one guy's garden!" Midna waved them out with a chuckle. The door closed behind the girls, and now they were only able to hear the subtle complaints of Purah directed at the twilight creature at the concept of stealing. The moon shone brightly on the sleepy town. They followed the path, waving to the folks who were heading inside for the night who had come to know them more over the past few days.

"I'm sorry." Zelda suddenly spoke, breaking their gentle silence. "It seems my worries have affected the mood of you and the others as well. That's why we're taking this walk, right?"

"There's nothing to be sorry for." Xion assured her with a gentle smile. "In fact, I have an idea of what you're going through." She then looked at her hands in a sudden sadness. "I haven't seen my friends in a long time. It's frustrating not knowing where they are or how they're doing, especially when..." She suddenly hesitated. "When they're all you know."

Zelda's gaze suddenly turned into a sulk, once again feeling insensitive about how her otherworlder friends may feel about the separation they have to be feeling. Not knowing how or when they'll get back? It must be quite the ordeal.

"This past year, it seems my...attachment to Link has grown significantly. I hadn't realized I'd come to rely on his presence." She spoke her thoughts aloud, surprised to hear herself admit this to someone. "S-sorry, I'm not sure where that came from-"