Chapter 7: A Welcoming Village, V

As we entered the inn, the boisterous atmosphere fell momentarily silent. The inn was filled with guests. Everyone's attention shifted to us as conversations ceased. The air was filled with whispers and muffled chuckles, and as their interested eyes landed on me, I noticed their mocking looks.

Ah, to have a bad reputation.

It wasn't like Seth was famous enough for the entire world to know him. However, because the hero and he both were in the same party, the national hero's reputation rubbed off on him.

I should get used to being a celebrity.

"The famous useless adventurer has graced us with his presence!" a voice called out, followed by uproarious laughter from a group of rugged adventurers in the corner. They clinked their mugs together, their mocking smiles aimed at me.

What the hell?

Celia caught up with their meaning and turned to look at my face.

"My reputation must be well-known enough that they recognize the marquess's useless son."

It was so embarrassing.

Should I act like trash and cause a ruckus right now? Heh. If I wasn't so broke that I couldn't compensate for the damage, I would have done so just to annoy them.

Not everyone was like Celia, who would still approach me even after hearing the unpleasant rumor that I was trash.

"H-hey, don't listen to what they say. I believe in you, and I know that you're capable of great things. Don't let their words define you."

Celia was trying hard to find proper words to console me.

Though, I knew they were just empty words. She was only trying hard to make the atmosphere less awkward.

"It's fine. Thank you, Miss Celia."

I would soon leave the village anyway, so what they thought didn't concern me.

We approached the inn counter, where the innkeeper frowned at the guests.

"Enough! Be a little more respectful. I don't tolerate any kind of harassment in my inn," She reprimanded, the commotion subsided, but the inn's guests still gave me an unfavorable glance before she turned to face me. "So, what brings you here? I've seen that the hero and others had left, but you remained in this remote settlement. How do you like our village?"

I suppose not everyone cared about the rumor.

"I think it's a nice village."

It's the place where I got reincarnated, almost got killed, and then got saved.

"The people here are nice."

I was saying it sincerely, thinking about Jake's grandmother, Jake, and Celia. But the innkeeper seemed to think that I was being sarcastic.

"..."

The innkeeper replied with a stiff smile. "Ah, I see. Our village may be distant, but it has its charm and warmth. Life may be simpler here, but the people are kind and welcoming. It's a place where you can find a sense of belonging."

"Oh."

"So, take your time and enjoy your stay," she said. "And don't mind the gossip. People love to talk, but it's your actions that define who you are."

"That's right. You treated me like normal despite the rumor that you would make trouble and hit anyone whenever you like." Celia nodded in agreement and then she turned to face me. "Let's head upstairs to my room. I don't think it's a good idea to talk here."