Chapter 24: Low-rank Quests, II

On the scorching summer day, the relentless sun blazed down from a nearly cloudless sky.

"Haaaaah..."

I rested against the wall, placing my hand upon it, and inhaled deeply.

"Five days. It's been five days and yet we are only done with two quests." I said impatiently.

I expected that the quests would take at most one day. And by the next day, I would get promoted to be a D-rank adventurer.

Celia chuckled from beside me. "We got a bit sidetracked, but we also got to try Mrs Jane's family recipe for Poached Dream Ladybird, which has been passed down from generation to generation and is now only known to her."

"It did taste good." I begrudgingly admitted.

It tasted like fried chicken.

I anticipated that Celia might occasionally provide a hand to some people who needed help while we were doing our quests, but Isaac also did the same. The locals requested our assistance in running errands after knowing that we were adventurers.

It included things like helping heartbroken villagers find their missing animals, collecting rare herbs for the local apothecary, escorting travellers or merchants through the area, protecting farmers' crops from pests, foraging for edible mushrooms in the forest...

Neither Celia nor Isaac would say no each time.

Over the course of five days, I also avoided five assassination attempts.

"But still..."

"I knew that Sir Isaac is a good man."

"Him?"

Our gaze was drawn to Isaac, who was assisting the old guy in transporting a large piece of luggage to a local inn.

I wanted to agree with Celia. In The Summoned Hero, however, he ends up siding with the demons.

After talking with the old man, Isaac approached us with the lost item for our third quest. It was a necklace that a noblewoman had lost when she was travelling.

"The man picked it up on the way here."

"Finally."

We are done with the E-rank quests.

"I didn't expect that you like helping people," I commented.

"Well..."

There it is. The melancholy in his eyes became more apparent.

I changed the topic as I asked him, "About the dragon... is it still following us?"

"The dragon is still here?" Celia looked at both of us in surprise.

"He's not with us right now," Isaac replied.

"What do you mean by that?"

"Maybe, he's hunting for food."

So the dragon didn't run away?

As we made our way through the busy streets to go back to the guild, I noticed an elderly woman dressed in a tattered hood in an alley.

"Would you like to know your future?" she asked, her gaze piercing.

Suspicious.

"Who are you talking to?"

"The less handsome gentleman there."

I looked at Isaac and he looked back at me. Neither of us moved until the old woman's voice came out again.