Chapter 8: A Welcoming Village, VI

The continent of Thanatos held a diverse landscape with various territories and regions. To the north, where no one dared to settle, was a land inhabited by merfolk. Merfolk did not like to interact with the creatures on land, so their underwater kingdom and cities were shrouded in mystery.

In the east, the land was dominated by dwarfs. Their kingdom was located deep in the mountains and it extended below the surface, where they built underground cities. Their craftsmanship was well-known throughout the land as they were skilled miners and blacksmiths.

The south was the elves' homeland, nestled deep within the Lust Forest. The forest was enchanted with magic to prevent intrusion from the outside world. The elves were also a reclusive race who fiercely guarded their sacred sanctuary, rarely allowing outsiders to enter.

The western part of the continent presented a stark contrast. It was a desert where life struggled to exist, known as the Barren Lands. Endless dunes stretched as far as the eye could see, and the searing sun-scorched anyone who crossed the vast expanse.

Before entering the Barren Lands, there was the Forest of Death, filled with deadly creatures ranging from A to SSS-tier grades monsters. Thick canopies blocked out the sunlight, casting an ominous gloom over the forest floor. Many people who went there never returned.

Our kingdom, Kingdom of Melianor, where we were currently, was located in the center of the continent. It was positioned as a key point for trade and communication between the various regions. To the east of our kingdom was a forest called Enchanted Woods, a place Celia had to cross in her journey to arrive at our land.

...

We found a secluded corner inside the inn with dimly lit lanterns casting a warm glow over the wooden table. The air was filled with the comforting aroma of freshly cooked food and the sweet scent of ale. As we settled down and sat across from each other, the map was spread out before us.

I was studying the map when Celia spoke up, her voice tinged with worry.

"Have you asked the innkeeper about hiring mercenaries?"

"Yeah, I offered to pay three gold coins for their service, with the rest to be given after we arrive at the capital," I replied.

Celia fell silent for a moment, her brows furrowing. "Seth... I thought you said you don't have any money with you. How do you plan to pay them with three gold coins?"

I was confused by her question.

"I'm not the one who paid...?"

Celia's face turned pale, and we both stared at each other, the realization sinking in.

"I don't have that much money with me," Celia exclaimed in distress. "We need to go back and tell the innkeeper."

Well, three gold was a lot of money.

"But we need mercenaries to escort us safely," I insisted.

Since I already made up my mind that I wanted to live, then I wanted to guarantee my safety.

Celia's shoulders slumped, and she let out a sigh. "I already paid mercenaries to travel here, so... I don't have much left with me right now, which is why I wanted to hitch a ride with a merchant and I had asked you for a place to stay once we reach the capital."

"You are right. So how about you ask for payment when someone comes and asks to get healed? It's faster that way!"

"Seth!"

I played it with a laugh, but I was dead serious. Celia possessed extraordinary healing abilities, and it seemed a waste not to charge for her services. But since she didn't want it...