Chapter 25: Low-rank Quests, III

One of the twelve heroes summoned from Japan to kill the Demon King was Natsukida Ryu. His past was a typical Isekai protagonist story: he was bullied for his appearance while still in high school, dropped out, and was left jobless, spending all of his time watching anime in his bedroom and disappointing his family.

Then one day, after being struck by the legendary truck-sama, he was transported to a new world where he got overpowered skills, a harem of stunning ladies, and exhilarating adventures.

"What... There are already people here. Hey, who are you guys?" The short girl with her hair styled in playful pigtails directed her finger towards us.

The priestess pulled the short girl back. "Betsy, don't come too close. They are carrying a weapon."

"Why is a demon amidst them?" Isaac's question cut through the tension, his gaze fixed on the group before us.

"A demon? Is it the girl with the horn?"

While both of us remained vigilant, Celia gradually eased her guard. I knew that she had doubts since the demon in front of us wasn't at all like the hideous creatures that were commonly known; instead, the demon presented herself as a teenage girl with black hair, pale skin, amethyst eyes and a single horn on her forehead. She was also dressed in a flowing blue and purple gown that hung around her thin frame, making her look more human.

She might have passed for an innocent girl if it weren't for her horn, which was a proud symbol of her demonic identity.

"What are you guys talking about? So what if Gresiel is a demon?" Betsy's words carried both frustration and anger. "Are you trying to attack her?"

"Wait, Betsy. I think they were just surprised to see Gresiel." Ryu intervened, attempting to placate Betsy's rising agitation. "Let's calm down and think this through.

The priestess instead remarked with a knowing chuckle. "Fufu, Hero, you're quite naive. I can tell from their determined gazes that they don't have pure intentions,"

"As a priestess, you should know better the nature of a demon," Isaac said.

"The hero and Betsy convinced me that Gresiel is someone worth getting along with, and she has also proven herself to be a nice demon."

"Gresiel has been aiding us throughout our travels. Not every demon is evil! They also deserve the chance to live," Betsy's voice echoed in the dungeon. "You're no different from the villagers!"

"The villagers?" I scoffed. "Then I guess they are smarter than you. Everyone knows that demons are enemies of all races. Keeping her with you means that you are going against the whole world."

They took pity on the wrong person. After all, the demon was banished from the village after accidentally killing a child.

"Fine by me!"

"It seems these people don't like us," the priestess said.

"What? Disliking one of us means fighting all of us!" The beast woman retorted, her response accompanied by hissing and displaying her claws.

"That's right. Gresiel is one of us," Ryu affirmed with confidence.

I found it rather funny that they were willing to sacrifice their life for a demon. That was why someone like Natsukida Ryu, who was naive, was not the protagonist of The Summoned Hero.

So, as someone who read the novel, I reminded them for the last time. "Even if they transform into humans, their nature remains the same. Demons are inherently evil."

"I will not tolerate any further insults to Gresiel," Ryu said, taking his sword from his waist and pointing it at us.

The demon had a shallow smile on her face while observing the situation keenly. It hadn't said anything but everyone in her group was protective of her.