Chapter 12: Saving a Powerhouse, II

"I remember hearing stories from the elders. A dragon is a large and mighty magical creature that already went extinct a thousand years ago." The girl replied with a hushed voice.

In The Summoned Hero, it was mentioned that the dragons were not extinct, but they found a secluded place where they refused to interact with humans and other creatures.

"Then, has anyone here talked about a dragon? The people are probably wearing dark red robes."

The moment I asked that, their faces changed and looked at me wary.

"Why are you asking that?"

"Don't worry, I'm not on their side. I just want to know if they are here."

The people I was asking them were The Demon King Worshipper. They brought a dragon here and made this place called The Cursed Land. Because the magic power of a dragon was strong, the livestock couldn't stand it and died. Besides that, The Demon King Worshipper didn't allow anyone to leave this place and any outsiders who entered would be killed by them.

I didn't know why there were none of them guarding the place and how we managed to enter.

I showed the two siblings another piece of bread. The girl gulped in hunger while the boy relented and answered.

"They said that they are experimenting on a dragon. Sometimes we could hear the dragon's roar from the cave up there." he pointed to a location on the mountain.

"Every day, there are also people that go missing."

They were probably used as an experiment subject to get implanted with the dragon's bone. It was a method for The Demon King Worshipper to get stronger and an offering for the high-ranking demons.

"I see."

I gave them two pieces of bread.

Celia approached me and looked at the children with pity. "They look the same. Are they twins?"

I looked back at the children. Their face was covered in dirt so I couldn't see their facial features clearly.

"It seems so."

We joined Berko and Orion who found an empty two-storey house on the outskirts. We only needed to clean up the place a bit and then we could stay there for the night.

After cleaning the place, we sat at the dining table on the first floor.

"Many people are starving here and I saw some of them are sick as well. That's why I want to give extra food that we have and help them."

"Miss. Wood, I know it's not my place to say this but it's not the best idea to help them openly." Berko replied. "Especially since we do not know the people living here."

"Huh, why?"

"Once you give something, sometimes, not everyone will appreciate it."

"What do you mean?"

Berko looked at me as though wondering if I understood his underlying meaning.

When I gave the bread to the twins, there were also other people around us. Their gazes were intense as though they wanted to devour our belongings. However, I knew that they were afraid to approach us because we were outsiders.

"What he means is that we should wait and observe first before helping them. There are many starving people here and we can't feed them all. Once we have given everything that we have, they will ask for more and they might even steal from us."

Berko nodded in agreement.

"What? Why would they do such things?"

"I guess that's just human nature. Not every place is as welcoming as Tudela Village."