Chapter 26: Low-rank Quests, IV

"Seth," Celia scolded, her disapproval eyes on me.

I instantly closed my mouth, realising that I should stop taunting them.

Ryu looked at his fallen party members and glared at us in resentment. He picked up the Soul Devourer on the ground and staggered as he tried to stand up.

"You... you hurt my friends. I won't forgive you."

If this were a story about him, wouldn't this be the standard scene where the hero gains consciousness and eliminates the mini villains whose roles were only to enhance his own power?

"You don't have to," I said.

I couldn't let him fight any longer and I wasn't someone stupid who would allow him to use us as cannon fodders.

"Isaac, knock him out."

Isaac gave me a disgruntled look, but he nevertheless followed my instructions and came up to Ryu. He knew that there won't be anything dragging this fight any longer.

Ryu tightened his grip on the Soul Devourer and frantically swung it at Isaac.

"Don't come any closer!"

Isaac deftly dodged the swing and hit him on the back of his head with the hill of his own sword.

"Ryu!"

As Ryu crumpled to the ground, Betsy embraced him tightly and gave us a fierce look, as if she was defending her own cub.

"Now, should we kill the demon?" I questioned, my eyes locked on the wounded demon.

The beastwoman struggled to her feet, gasping in pain. Blood streamed from her back, yet despite the agony, she positioned herself in front of her party members. "Gresiel, take everyone away from here. I'll stall for some time for you guys to leave this place."

The demon stared at her emotionlessly.

"You can't fight," she stated firmly.

"I know I won't be able to hold out long but..."

"At most, you can only buy time for five minutes. They'll still come after me."

"Are you worried about me, Gresiel?" The beastwoman asked in an emotional voice. She turned towards us. "See, you humans. Gresiel is more human than you lot."

However, the next words that came out of the demon's mouth caused the beastwoman to freeze in cold shock.

"Then instead of dying uselessly like that, you should lend your strength to me."

"What do you mean?"

Without a word, the demon thrust her arm inside the beastwoman's body, ripping out her insides. Horror struck us as the demon callously started to chew on them.

What the...

"Gresiel?" The beastwoman exclaimed in disbelief before collapsing to the ground.

Everyone, including myself, was horrified as a macabre scene unfolded in front of us.

"You're finally revealing your true nature." I said as I stepped away from the demon.

As much as I wanted to fight her, she wasn't my opponent that I could take on. My head would fly off before I could make the first move.

The demon glanced at Betsy and spoke with a bloodied mouth. "Mmmm... yes this is it. Nothing compares to innocent human flesh. It's far more delicious than the green hummingbird that I had to sneakily eat."

Betsy was on the verge of tears as she gave her a terrified expression. "Gresiel, you were the one who killed Kiwi?"

The demon grinned with a malevolent expression that sent shivers down our spines.