Chapter 19: The Marquess' Estate, I

<Her long, flowing blonde hair cascaded down her back like a river of gold, shimmering in the dappled sunlight. Her golden eyes blazed like twin suns, their intensity rivalling the very stars in the sky. She was clad in armour adorned with intricate engravings that shone like the first light of dawn.>

It was one of the Knights of Order, Agnes Whitlock. Seth's sister.

"Seth!"

The serious expression on her face changed as she ran and hugged me, knocking my nose in the process.

"My baby brother. I'm glad... I'm so glad." I could hear her voice shaking. "I was so worried about you. I heard from the other adventurers that you were killed in a dungeon. Why did you run away on your own?"

I pushed her away slightly and rubbed my nose. She let me go reluctantly.

"Who said that? Are they the ones who travelled with me?"

"Yes, I saw them returning to the capital alone but I didn't see you."

It was just like in the novel. Agnes knew the date when Seth and his teammates departed for the quest and it should roughly take three weeks. However, this time, Birds of a Feather returned alone without him. Naturally, she was worried and decided to investigate it on her own.

Remembering those people made me angry. "They abandoned me in the dungeon and left me to die after they stole all my stuff. Unfortunately for them, I'm still alive."

Agnes immediately turned furious. "What? They tried to kill you?! How dare they...!"

"I'll report it to the Minister of Justice. But... I don't know if they'll take action. At most, they'll only spend a few years in prison."

It was a lie. I wouldn't let them live peacefully.

Agnes suddenly turned quiet for a moment. I looked up and saw her mumbling.

She knew that Seth was weak and she had been protective of him since he was born. Because their mother died when they were little,  Agnes and Seth were always stuck with each other. However, when they grew up, Agnes was preoccupied with the responsibilities of being the heir of a marquess.

The original Seth felt angry that she couldn't pay attention to him and felt abandoned. His mother abandoned him, and now his sister had done the same, leaving him without familial love and with a twisted personality.  

"You're right. I doubt they'll give you justice correctly."

"Maybe I'll die before they were brought to court."

I was saying it sarcastically, following the novel's plot, but Agnes suddenly turned serious.

"I won't let them do anything to you. I'm your sister and a member of Knights of the Order. I'll make sure that you're always safe."

Agnes was looking at me in the eyes intensely. I looked away.

"Yeah, say whatever you want."

I knew that I was being rude. Even though she was my sister in this world, I didn't feel any familial bond with her. She should say that to the original Seth but he was not here. Though, I didn't know what happened to him. He probably died when I transmigrated into his body.

Agnes looked visibly sad. I turned my head to look at the knights behind her. There was someone noticeably different from them.

His short, jet-black hair framed a face that could only be described as a work of art, with finely arched, sword-like eyebrows. His eyes were as dark as the midnight sky and shimmering with a dark intensity that seemed to draw you in, making it impossible to look away. His straight bridge nose balanced his facial features perfectly. It was a face that appeared to have been meticulously crafted by the most talented of sculptors, each feature chiselled to perfection.