chapter 6 (love is learned, love grows)

ZEKIEL'S POV

It was summer, and it was Mommy's birthday. Close family, friends, and some business associates were invited. I was excited to see Cedes without Xavier, and I positioned myself where I could see the arrivals.

I hoped they would come; otherwise, Mommy would be upset.

"Ohhh my BFF Anita, Alvin, Mercedes, come in!" Mommy exclaimed.

"Happy birthday, my ever-gorgeous BFF Lily," greeted Tita Anita.

"Happy birthday, Tita Lily!" said Mercedes.

"Thank you! You look stunning, dear. You've bloomed to your fullest! Manila suits you well," complimented Mommy.

"Thank you, Tita!" replied Mercedes.

"How is everything with you?" Mommy asked.

"Trying hard to cope with law subjects, Tita," answered Mercedes.

"I heard from Zekiel that you are always at the top of the freshmen students. Very impressive! You inherited your worth from your mother, BFF," commented Tita Anita.

"Not really, Tita. Sometimes, it's just luck," humbly replied Mercedes.

"Humble... so humble," Mommy remarked.

"There are also many talented students," Mercedes added.

"Are you and Zekiel from the same school?" Mommy inquired.

"Yes, we are," Mercedes replied.

"Maybe you should have stayed in Zekiel's condominium. It's spacious, and it's close to the school," Mommy suggested.

"Ah, is that so, Tita? I'm fine with where I live," Mercedes responded.

"That's okay then. Zekiel, come over here and entertain Cedes. BFF and I will meet some other friends!" Mommy said, lifting my spirits. My mother's timing was excellent, sparing me the challenge of figuring out how to approach Mercedes. I was feeling shy, wondering why I was like this now.

I quickly approached her. "Good evening, Ced. Let's have a seat," I said, gesturing towards a table in one corner.

"Good evening, Zekiel," she replied casually as if greeting an acquaintance. She had changed a lot since the last time we had a meaningful conversation during her debut. I hurt her ego then, so what would I expect?

Her warm call of my name, "Zekiel," felt like it crashed and burned. Before, she used to say it with such sweetness, but now it seemed plain.

"When did you come home?" I asked, trying to break the silence between us.

"Right after the exam. Xavier's helicopter was available, so he decided to go home to Davao, and I joined him. I arrived at our house only yesterday. I stayed for three days at their resort in Talicud Island before heading home to Koronadal. Mom and Dad are still not here; they're in Singapore. We all went home together," Mercedes explained.

I felt stunned by what I heard. They have a helicopter and a resort on Talicud Island.

"Can I invite you? It's the grand opening of Daddy's hot and cold spring in Esperanza," I asked.

"I need to ask Xavier for permission first. I don't want him to feel upset if I join you without his knowledge," she replied.

"Really? Is it like that now? Does he need to know everything?" I asked.

"Yes, just like when he asks for permission if he has somewhere to go. It's not about being restricted. It's about respect. He doesn't forbid me from doing anything. I can freely do what I want. It's just that I know my limits. If something hurts me, it would hurt him too, so I won't do it," Mercedes explained.

It felt like boulders landed on my chest, suffocating me.

"He's that concerned about you?" I asked.

"Yes, his parents, especially his mother and father, offered for me to live in Xavier's condominium so that I have company. Xavier also insisted, and since I didn't want to offend them, I agreed. However, I'm only free for household chores and rides with the driver because Xavier doesn't want me to bring a car; he says it's impractical, But in all oythert expenses I had my share, though he disapproved." she continued.

"So, they like you, too, just like Tito and Tita?" I asked, trying to gather information.

"Yes, they do. Daddy and Mommy respected my decision, even though they had other preferences for me. However, I made it clear that it's my choice that matters, not theirs. But the person who truly matters before doesn't like me," she revealed.

"Are you sure?" I inquired.

"Yes, there were many instances that proved it. I felt embarrassed countless times. I feel small and insignificant as if I could be pushed away with just a touch," Mercedes shared.

"How did you find out?" I asked.

"I recall my debut vividly. I was filled with excitement, hoping he would agree to be my escort. However, he vehemently objected, and I deeply regretted pushing him. His refusal cast a shadow over my celebration, almost like a gift of rejection. It left a lasting mark on my birthday, a present I would never be able to forget," she shared, her expression tinged with sadness and her eyes misting up.

"Maybe he was confused or pressured at that time," I suggested.

"No, it's been like that since we were kids. There were moments when he didn't want to play with me, and there were fleeting instances of sweetness, especially up in their treehouse. But then, during my seventh birthday party, everything took a turn. He started crying and insisted on leaving, claiming he was bored. When I invited him to watch the clown and magician, he secretly pinched me, expressing his disdain. He even went as far as criticizing my gown, saying it was ugly. So, from a young age, I developed an insecurity complex. I began to feel unattractive, believing that people didn't enjoy my company. Consequently, I grew up feeling distant and isolated, drowning in loneliness," Mercedes admitted.

"What if he's sorry now?" I asked.

"It's good that he's finally come to terms with his feelings. But I've been dealing with this for quite some time now. That's why, when I started college, I made it clear to Mom and Dad that I didn't want to attend the same school as him. I opted for Davao instead because at least there, I could retreat home whenever I felt lonely. Then one day, a ray of sunshine pierced through the clouds when someone noticed me at school. We clicked instantly and became inseparable companions. Having him around meant having someone to share meals with at the canteen, explore the mall, and enjoy movies together. He became my confidant, my rock. Despite his genuine feelings for me, he never pushed me into anything. So, during my debut, amidst the lingering disappointments and heartaches, I decided to give him a chance. Even though it might have started as a rebound, for which I'm sorry, he took that leap of faith and understood me like no one else did. With time, we learned to love, and our love blossomed,. Indeed love is learnened, love grows," Mercedes revealed.

"What if that person loves you now, or has loved you for a long time, but just didn't realize it?" I asked.

"Too bad. Time was wasted. I can't love him now; my heart already belongs to someone else. I can't hurt a man who loved me when I was hurt. I can't turn back to the man who was there for me in the darkness, holding my hands so tight to guide me through the sunshine," Mercedes explained.

That's when I became speechless. Cedes and Xavier had returned home, and her words kept echoing in my ears.

***********************************************************************************************
10032023Tuesday1052