chapter 10 ( smile, though it hurts)

MERCEDES's POV

After the big party with our parents, Xavier and I returned to our condo in Manila. I went to the poolside to talk to Xavier about the upcoming IBP Manila Chapter welcome party.

"Hey Xav! Have you heard about the upcoming IBP Manila Chapter welcome party? I'm thinking about going, but I wanted to know what you think. What's your opinion?" I asked Xavier.

"Oh hey, Ced! Yeah, I've heard about it too. It sounds like a great chance to celebrate our success in topping the bar exam. I think going would be a fantastic idea. It's an opportunity to meet other successful lawyers and build our professional network," Xavier answered.

"That's true. It could be a great way to meet experienced lawyers and get valuable insights from them. Plus, celebrating our accomplishments with other bar passers would be a lot of fun. I can imagine there will be some amazing stories and camaraderie to share," I said.

"It's important to recognize that our hard work and dedication have paid off. This party would let us relax and have a good time while connecting with others who have faced the same challenges. It's a chance to enjoy and celebrate this milestone in our legal careers," Xavier.

"You're right, Xav. We've spent so much time studying and preparing, and now it's time to unwind and enjoy. Also, attending events like this can open doors to future opportunities in the legal community. It's a win-win situation," I said.

"It's about embracing this achievement and taking every chance to expand our professional horizons. And who knows, we might even make lifelong friends along the way!" Xavier said.

"That's a great point, Xav. So, let's put on our party hats and go to the IBP Manila Chapter welcome party. It's time to celebrate our success, relax, and connect with fellow lawyers who understand the journey we've been through," I replied.

"Let's go, have a blast, and make some lasting memories. We deserve it!" Xavier answered. He is excited!

"Cheers to that, Xav! Let's party! I'll see you at the party."

At the IBP Welcome Party...

ZEKIEL's POV

As I see Mercedes smiling sweetly with Xavier at the IBP welcome party, a mix of emotions might go through my mind. At first, I might feel a bit jealous or insecure, especially since they've been in a relationship for years.

Seeing her happy with someone else could make me question my attractiveness or worry about my chances with her.

But I might also genuinely feel happy for Mercedes. If I truly care about her well-being, I'd want to see her having a good time and making connections with others. In this case, seeing her smile and getting along with Xavier might bring me some relief and contentment.

My thoughts might include curiosity about their relationship or any romantic involvement. I might wonder if Mercedes truly loves Xavier. This curiosity could come from a desire to understand Mercedes's choices and maybe figure out my chances with her.

Overall, my thoughts would likely be a mix of my own emotions, ranging from jealousy to happiness, and curiosity about the relationship between Mercedes and Xavier. How I handle these thoughts would depend on my personality and the depth of my feelings for Mercedes... For now, I smile, though it hurts.

XAVIER's POV

My mind raced as I saw Zekiel at the welcome party. I couldn't help but feel a pang of jealousy, knowing that Zekiel was Mercedes' past love. Despite his efforts to keep a stoic expression, his face showed his inner turmoil.

Insecurity filled my mind as I watched Zekiel interacting with other guests. Questions swirled in my head: Does Zekiel still hold a special place in Mercedes' heart? Will she always compare our relationship to what she had with Zekiel?

I reminded myself to trust Mercedes and believe in the strength of our connection. But Zekiel's presence served as a constant reminder of the past, bringing up doubts I had worked hard to overcome.

As I looked at Mercedes, her reassuring smile gave me comfort. It silently affirmed that our love was strong enough to overcome any lingering shadows from the past. With renewed determination, I promised to focus on the present and cherish the bond we had built, no matter who came before me.

MERCEDES's POV

As I saw Zekiel at the welcome party, a mix of emotions hit me. Memories of the pain from his constant ignoring rushed in—those sleepless nights wondering why he didn't notice me, the efforts to get his attention, and the heartache of feeling invisible to someone I cared about. It had been an emotional rollercoaster of frustration and heartbreak.

Seeing Zekiel now, surrounded by friends and having a good time, bitterness and resentment crept in. I couldn't understand how easily he dismissed me; I was never important to him. The pain was still fresh, and it hurt to see him without the hurt resurfacing.

At the same time, there was a bit of hope. Maybe seeing Zekiel again could bring closure or a chance to address the pain. Perhaps this time things would be different, and I could finally move on. But deep down, I knew hoping for change might only lead to more disappointment.

Observing Zekiel from a distance, I questioned my worth. Why did I let myself be consumed by someone who didn't value me? Why did I yearn for his attention when he effortlessly disregarded my feelings? It was a painful realization, but it forced me to confront the truth: I deserved better.

At that moment, I made a silent vow to myself. Zekiel's indifference wouldn't define my self-worth. Instead, I'd focus on healing, growth, and finding happiness within myself. Walking away from the party, I carried newfound strength, ready to leave the pains behind and embrace a future where I was valued and loved for who I truly was. One day, I'd hold Xavier's arms again, standing at the altar after walking down the aisle.

Reflecting on my childhood friend Zekiel and the changes in our relationship during our teenage years brings a mix of memories and emotions. Our journey from close companions to a period of being ignored and even experiencing what felt like hatred was a challenging chapter.

In our early years, Zekiel and I were inseparable, sharing adventures, and inside jokes, and creating lasting memories. From playing in the park to building treehouses and exploring the neighborhood, we were best friends.

However, as we entered our teenage years, something changed. Zekiel's attitude shifted, and our paths began to diverge. His interests and priorities shifted, and it felt like he was actively distancing himself. The warm connection we once had began to cool, and it seemed like he had negative feelings toward me. It was a confusing and heartbreaking time.

Those teenage years left me feeling hurt and rejected. I missed our childhood camaraderie, and it was tough to accept the change in Zekiel's behavior. Feeling ignored and disliked was painful.

Despite the challenges, it taught me important lessons about the complexities of relationships. People change, and friendships evolve unexpectedly. It shaped me and emphasized the value of empathy and understanding in any relationship.

Looking back, childhood memories remain precious, and the challenges of our teenage years serve as a reminder of the dynamics friendships can go through. It's a story of growth, transformation, and resilience needed to navigate life's twists and turns.

***********************************************************************************************

11052023Sunday1129eve